“Always Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Helena's Hawaiian Food
Ranked #4 of 2,326 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chula Vista, California
“Always Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Helena's has been my go to spot for 6 years. It's the first place I eat when I get to Oahu and the last meal I have before heading back to the mainland. Everything on their menu is delicious but I go for the Kalbi ribs they are amazing. If you drive by and there is a line don't let that detract you, it is definitely worth the wait

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Fe Springs, California
“Best Hawaiian food ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have wanted to try Helena's since we saw it on a travel show, and boyyy it exceeded expectations!! Parking was difficult, so be patient. We ordered menu D which had Kalua pig- a winner ! smoky porky goodness, pipikaula short rib- A+, luau squid- so good we ordered a second helping,opihi- too oceany, fried butterfish collar-yes, more please! ahi poke-just ok, haupia -yum..ok there were four of us and they come in tiny saucers. We wiped them all clean! Deeeelicious. Also, authentic Hawaiian not the touristy kind of food. This should be a destination in itself, will definitely go back when we go to Oahu

• Visited February 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Best Hawaiian food I've ever had! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

The pipikaula steak was amazing, the fried butterfish is obscenely smooth and flavorful. The kailua pork was hands down the best - smoky, fatty, exactly perfect. Even the macaroni salad was delicious. Everything was served with plenty of Aloha. Awe inspiring.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“A local masterpiece”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

A true "Hawaiian" experience where locals come to fill up. Plates are simple, authentic, and small. Its a relatively expensive lunch (and plan to wait as the place is very small) but its unique not only on Oah'u but in the world. Wait staff is very warm and helpful but don't dawdle, they need to turn over tables during their limited seating hours during lunch. (BTW, Hawaiian food may not be everyone's cup of tea...but you have to try it at least once...beef ribs, pork, fish, rice and poi/taro are the staples!)

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not my cup of tea”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

We went there because it is a travel guide's top choice. It's menu was quite economical. The serving size was small which could let customers order more than just two dishes. A good idea. It is close to Bishop Museum so you could go there after visiting that famous museum. The boss was helpful and told us where to hop on the bus to go back to Waikiki. However, the food wasn't as good as I expected. I found the ribs tasted ordinary. My brother said it was good. I found Kailua pork was just okay. Regardless of my comment, you should give this restaurant a go because it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. You wouldn't lose a lot of money even if you didn't like it.

Visited February 2014