“Amazing Okonomiyaki”

Okonomiyaki Chibo Restaurant Hawaii Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing Okonomiyaki”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

After reviewing the menu a few times as we walked passed and then made a few guesses (the menu script mainly caters for Japanese not English - no problem there) both of us choose our own Okonomiyaki and they were amazing. We decided for the cheaper alternative to have only 2 fillings and we could not fault the dish or make a single complaint. They are a decent size and will definately fill you up.

If you like Asian cuisine, a well priced meal and are after a nice cool relaxed setting after a hard morning on the beach than Chibo Restaurant is must try. The photos in the galeria advertising the restaurant do not do it justice. We would like to come back and try the tepanyaki but we just dont have any time remaining to do so.

Visited April 2014

• Korean first
Piedmont, California
“Like being in Japan”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Strawberry daiquiri was one of the best ever, and we drink daiquiris every time we visit Hawaii. We ordered the Hiroshima-yaki which we've eaten in Hiroshima, and it was perfect. Great service from the waiter and the chef. Go early - around 5:30p - to get a seat, avoid the crowds, and catch the Happy Hour. Your hotel concierge probably can't make reservations here, so just walk in. Moderately priced for Waikiki.

• Visited March 2014
Boston
“Reminds me of home (but more up scale)”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We have been coming to Chibo's every time we visit Waikiki (on vacation) which is about once every two years. This is one of the few places outside of Japan where one can get real okonomiyaki with all the fixings. Eating okonomiyaki may be an "acquired" taste for non-Japanese folks but my Norwegian/Irish wife loves it. I especially love the seasonings that they use. I make this at home on occasion but still haven't found all the seasonings that I like since I don't know how to describe them (not a cook). I understand there is a new place in Honolulu that also serves okonomiyaki and hope to try that place soon.

• Visited February 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Never liked Okonomiyaki until...”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This place! We were seated at the chef bar. The chef was cooking up the goods right in front of us. The menu looks pricy until you see there specialty which is in their name. The okonomiyaki is $13 which seems high, but it is good quality okonomiyaki. You get to choose 2 items in the pancake. I chose bacon and sirloin. The chef also will add a generous amount of teriyaki, mayo, and seaweed on top if you like. And it is made right before your eyes. I used to dislike okonomiyaki, until now.

• Visited November 2013
Everett, Washington
“Just could not re-live my experience in Japan”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I fell in love with Okonomiyaki when i studied abroad in Japan and the style I tried there was Hiroshima. Once I got to Honolulu, I knew I had to locate a place with good okonomyaki and Chibo was close by to our hotel at the Westin Surfrider.

We ordered the Okonomyaki Chibo "Osaka" style. It was priced at $21 dollars!!! Overall, the yaki taste good but it did not have the same kick as when i visited Hiroshima (understand it is different style from the one i tried in Hiroshama).Plus the portion seem small too, i left wanting to eat more food...but somewhere else

If it was cheaper, I would definitely go back, yelpers should check out the happy hour specials.

• Visited March 2013