“La Mariana Restaurant & Bar - Ya!”

La Mariana Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #67 of 2,522 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Prior to our trip to Waikiki it seemed every travel guide and or magazine recommended a visit to La Mariana Restaurant and Bar. So after a day of craziness at the Pearl Harbour Experience (ie: Arizona Memorial, etct) we needed to chill away from the maddening crowds - so we hopped in a cab and off we went....well sort of. Turns out we just assumed the cab driver would know where La Mariana Sailing Club on Sand Island was - he did not. So make sure you take the address with you as you may need the acutual address. Once we got there - it was exactly what I had pictured in my mind. Old tiki, kinda seedy (but good seedy), full of history and stories. We had yummy Mai tais and beers (several) and I ordered a club and my husband a fish dish. Our waitress was cool and her service was exactly what we needed. Her service style was very attentive but not in an annoying way. Food, drinks and service all good. Our only regret is that we did not stay longer as the little bar looked like it was becoming a happening place for people watching, hanging out and shooting the ship. So glad we went to this very cool local haunt and would return again for sure but would stay longer and into the evening. A total hidden gem this place is and a great way to spend Christmas eve!

1  Thank RomanVancouver

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love the old Tiki look from decades past and this place is it! We took the bus back and forth to it which was a bit of a challenge but doable. I had an order of butterflied prawns that I couldn't finish and a glass of wine. There was live music. I would definitely go back for the fun atmosphere and good food.

1  Thank OceanBoulevard
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We only had a mai tai and ahi poke, but both were good.

It's totally out of the way (in an industrial park!), but was fun. We went twice just to chill in the marina, take in the tiki scene, and sip on drinks.

2  Thank jkm_canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Went for dinner as a family of four. The drive to the restaurant is part of the experience - in a poorly-lit, semi-industrial area by the shore. Found the small sign on the chain-link fence so we knew where to turn. Loved the open-air seating, tiki masks and colored lights. Background live piano music added to the experience. Food is fairly standard and we enjoyed the eggplant-seafood specialty. Definitely a place to visit on any Oahu trip.

1  Thank dsj22
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We went knowing this was what it was supposed to be, decor wise but I was just so disappointed with my meal. The Zombies were good and overall the value was okay for Honolulu. It is a 30.00 cab ride from Waikiki so factor that in if you aren't driving. My meal of Mahi Mahi was not good. I expected fresh fish and however it was prepared I expected it to be good. It was not. Don t order fish with a 'cream sauce' of any kind at a place like this. I should have known better. Thick gooey almost non flavored white sauce covered my almost all brown piece of fish which looked nothing like what everyone else's Mahi looked like at our table. It appeared to be an excuse to cover up a bad piece. Which by the way also had the skin still on it, which was not the case on the other 3 meals at the table. Yeck. Overcooked pasta AND broccoli and bam, worst meal I have had in years. Cheesey bar or not I would barely have fed that meal to my dog.

Positive note staff was very friendly. And taking Pics by the fake waterfall was a bonus! We went for cheese, we got it. Expected bar food, this didn't come close.