“Not what I remembered”

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
“Not what I remembered”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have not been to Libby's Manapua Shop for quite awhile. The prices have gone up and the menu on Tripadvisor needs to have its prices updated. That being said, I was pretty disappointed in the food. I tried the Charsui Pork Manapua, Chicken Manapua, Halfmoon, and Pepeyau. The taste and quality didn't do it for me. The fillings on the Halfmoon and Pepeyau were not very tasty and pretty much consisted of bamboo shoots and water chestnuts grounded up.
The manapuas, both charsui and chicken, are better at a lot of other places, including 7-11.

I think people still love going there. Old habits are hard to break.

For me, I will look elsewhere for my manapua fix.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank HKJeff

“Ono Manapua Etc”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

If you are a local, you either like Libby Manapua or Char Hung Sut in Chinatown. These are usually the go-to places when Hawaii locals want manapua. For those of you that are visiting, you should really try some of the truly "local" foods and manapua is right at the top of the list of local eats. Manapua is the Hawaii version of the Chinese char siu bao. It is bbq pork in a yeasty-sweet bun that is either baked or steamed. I usually order the char hung sut version but I decided to try libby's since i was in the neighborhood. The Manapua is excellent.... I also tried the chowmein noodles and they were delicious as well. Just plain and simple which sometimes is a good thing. I still love the char hung sut version...I love their pork hash and mai tai soo (chop suey cake), rice cake, pepeau etc....

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Cooking_Hawaiian
Honolulu, Hawaii
“The best manapua, parking, and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Libby Manapua Shop in Kalihi has the best char siu bao (pork manapua) period. Since they opened their new parking lot right across the street, stopping by to get a load of delicious chow mein, chow fun, pork hash, rice cake, etc. is a breeze.

Their prices are very very reasonable compared to other dim sum providers. The gals working the counter are friendly and extremely efficient. They have a limited menu but crank the stuff out in assembly line fashion. They're always busy especially on weekends, but their system works well and you won't ever have to wait very long.

They just made 50 years in business and must be doing something right. I hope they don't change and are around for the next 50 years. If you enjoy a good manapua, say a half dozen tasty pork hash, and a quart of chow mein for a reasonable price, then by all means get to Libby's ASAP.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank esakimoto
“Excellent manapua!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Was driving down Kalihi Street and pulled into Libby's on a whim. Had not been there in years. Tried all the manapua(love that black sugar bao) and was not disappointed. The bun is tasty and generously filled. Pork hash as good as any. My only let down was the chow fun; kind of bland and tasteless. Royal Kitchen has them beat here. Will be back when the cravings hit. BTW, Libby's has very nondescript exterior. I was shocked to see the line(s) forming when I stepped inside. The line moved quickly, although you better have a clear idea of what you want BEFORE you order. Ah, think of the soup Nazi from Seinfeld. Enjoy!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank musicman45
Honolulu
“I'm Over It!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

Today, I had the unfortunate experience of buying manapua from Libby Manapua in Kalihi. For one thing their selection is so limited (no baked manapua) and for another, their staff is so unfriendly. When puchasing my items, I noticed that "pepeao" was spelled 'pepeyao" on their menu; which being the proud Hawaiian that I am, brought it to their attention. All activity came to a stop and the young girl behind the register stopped giving me change and glared at me for a moment. Then she plopped the change into my hand, turned around and under her breath, but loud enough for me to hear, said "We're not Hawaiian" in that sing song tone that the youngsters use when they say "Whatever!". Well being the old fut that I am, I asked if the sassy girl was the owner to which the whole place became quiet and I followed the eyes to a stoud "female ting" glaring at me. She said not one word as I vented that the behavior was unacceptable and of course took the side of the girl behind the register; probably her daughter because she looked like she would become the "stoudt female ting" 40 years from today. I guess they have enough customers because they didn't care and all the workers continued to glare at me. They didn't get the point that whether you are Hawaiian or not you should spell the word correctly or tell me why it is spelled the way it is. I find the oversight and lack of explanation offensive as both a Chinese man and a Native Hawaiian. I ended with I think i'll stick to Char Hung Sut and left. Err...well, I did call them all A_ _ wipes before I left. Probably inappropriate, but made me feel really good! Please boycott Libby Manapua and chose to purchase your dim sum from other great places like Char Hung Sut, Aiea Manapua or Chun Wah Kam where you get better service, more choices and healthier selections without the attitude. Please pass this on so that Libby Manapua, a restaurant in decline, either realizes their service and selection is lacking or exists no more.
Absolutely NO excust for poor customer service!

9 Thank Pualani5