“Excellent manapua!”

Libby Manapua Shop Incorporated
Ranked #582 of 2,527 Restaurants in Honolulu
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Was driving down Kalihi Street and pulled into Libby's on a whim. Had not been there in years. Tried all the manapua(love that black sugar bao) and was not disappointed. The bun is tasty and generously filled. Pork hash as good as any. My only let down was the chow fun; kind of bland and tasteless. Royal Kitchen has them beat here. Will be back when the cravings hit. BTW, Libby's has very nondescript exterior. I was shocked to see the line(s) forming when I stepped inside. The line moved quickly, although you better have a clear idea of what you want BEFORE you order. Ah, think of the soup Nazi from Seinfeld. Enjoy!

1  Thank musicman45

Reviewed May 23, 2009

Today, I had the unfortunate experience of buying manapua from Libby Manapua in Kalihi. For one thing their selection is so limited (no baked manapua) and for another, their staff is so unfriendly. When puchasing my items, I noticed that "pepeao" was spelled 'pepeyao" on their menu; which being the proud Hawaiian that I am, brought it to their attention. All activity came to a stop and the young girl behind the register stopped giving me change and glared at me for a moment. Then she plopped the change into my hand, turned around and under her breath, but loud enough for me to hear, said "We're not Hawaiian" in that sing song tone that the youngsters use when they say "Whatever!". Well being the old fut that I am, I asked if the sassy girl was the owner to which the whole place became quiet and I followed the eyes to a stoud "female ting" glaring at me. She said not one word as I vented that the behavior was unacceptable and of course took the side of the girl behind the register; probably her daughter because she looked like she would become the "stoudt female ting" 40 years from today. I guess they have enough customers because they didn't care and all the workers continued to glare at me. They didn't get the point that whether you are Hawaiian or not you should spell the word correctly or tell me why it is spelled the way it is. I find the oversight and lack of explanation offensive as both a Chinese man and a Native Hawaiian. I ended with I think i'll stick to Char Hung Sut and left. Err...well, I did call them all A_ _ wipes before I left. Probably inappropriate, but made me feel really good! Please boycott Libby Manapua and chose to purchase your dim sum from other great places like Char Hung Sut, Aiea Manapua or Chun Wah Kam where you get better service, more choices and healthier selections without the attitude. Please pass this on so that Libby Manapua, a restaurant in decline, either realizes their service and selection is lacking or exists no more.
Absolutely NO excust for poor customer service!

9  Thank Pualani5
Reviewed March 21, 2009

OMG, I have never tasted manapua this good. The bread is soft and the meat inside is so tasty! I can never eat another manapua without comparing it to Libby's manapua's. My family and I have never had another manapua from the regular stores anymore. My kids love the pork hash. This place is great for those on a budget, especially with a family and it's quick. Manapua's and pork hash selections are ready in no time, but you have to arrive early or else it's gone by mid-afternoon.

1  Thank bz_momOf3
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Awesome manapua, rice cake, siu mai, and half moon!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook