“Excellent Food at a good price”

Little Village Noodle House
Ranked #189 of 2,494 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown Honolulu
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I got the name of this little place from the concierge at my hotel, and decided to try it out while walking around Honolulu's China Town. It is located on Smith Street on the edge of Chinatown. Another recommended restaurant is virtually next door, the Happy Belly.

I arrived about 12:45 on a Wednesday and the place was packed. I only had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. The hostess was very friendly and seated us quickly. The waitress explained the daily specials and brought water to the table. I chose the spicy garlic shrimp entrée which came on a bed of shredded cabbage with a side of either white or brown rice. The portion was quite large (about 14 very large shrimp). The name is appropriate, as this was quite spicy and flavorful. A friend had the honey walnut shrimp which is a house specialty and it was also very delicious, or should I say ono since this is Hawaii.

The menu is extensive with a wide variety of choices including seafood, pork, chicken, and vegetable dishes and daily specials such as oxtail hot pot and some dishes that I didn't recognize but local people were ordering and seemed to enjoy.

They, of course, also have traditional Chinese soups, spring rolls lettuce rolls, etc.

The entrees range in price from about $10 to about $21, and the portions are more than enough for a full meal with leftovers to take home.

Try this place out if you are ever in Honolulu's China Town. And take some time to wander around the markets. You will see bargains on everything from fresh fish and meats, produce, spices, herbs, jewelry, fresh leis and flowers, and some pretty weird stuff like pig heads, chicken feet, and some things I couldn't even identify, but I know they were animal parts.

1  Thank RUtraveller

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Our server was very helpful and had a great sense of humor. His suggestions were helpful and appreciated. The food was very good and the prices were very reasonable for Honolulu. We will go back.

1  Thank Janel D
Reviewed May 1, 2014

A small, unassuming storefront but inside is unquestionably the best Chinese restaurant in which I have ever eaten. Some friends took us there and we ordered appetizers which were wonderful (lettuce wraps, green onion pancakes, pork dumplings.) Words can't describe how tasty they were. Hubby ordered what he thought was a small cup of hot and sour soup and out came a huge bowl, enough to feed an army, and it also was outstanding. Do not miss this place if you are in Honolulu. Service was pleasant and efficient. Prices very reasonable. Cannot wait to go back here.

2  Thank kauaigirl3
Reviewed April 8, 2014

If you like Chinese cuisine, stop in here - you will not be disappointed. Each time I visit Honolulu I have eaten here, and it was truly excellent each time (2 years apart).
Do not expect ambience and the service is a bit uneven (dishes arrive as they are ready, so some diners at table eat later than others!) but don't let that deter you - the food is just great!

1  Thank George_Moosie_W
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Cosy Chinese restaurant with authentic Chinese food. We ordered the Mother of all fried rice - With such a name, our expectations were high and we were not disappointed - fragrant rice nicely singed and with lots of tasty morsels of delights. Also recommended are the bitter melon with beef and black bean sauce, asparagus and salt and pepper squid. The mushu wrap was delicious with warm paper thin wraps and a great stuffing.
Leave space for desserts - Sweet Black Sunday (black glutinous rice with coconut and vanilla ice cream) with hot Thai milk tea.