“Great restaurant”
Review of Roy's Hawaii Kai

Roy's Hawaii Kai
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's Hawaii Kai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 2,539 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We loved this restaurant with one exception - and it would have been a 5 except for this. The host upstairs was really nice and very helpful (even bringing over a chair to place a sleeping child on). Our waiter was nice and very responsive. The food was great with a really nice and well priced kids menu. Adults were well looked after too. Really enjoyed the fresh fish and the shared appetiser 'canoe' was really nice. The view was lovely and the table set up good. I feel bad even mentioning the woman at the front desk given how nice everyone else was but she was truly awful. She appeared totally disinterested in seating us, telling us we had to wait until they had put kids menus on the table (??? not sure how this prevented us being seated). I was carrying a sleeping 3 year old and when we pointed this out, she told me to sit on a very uncomfortable backless bench. We waited for about 10 minutes and despite a number of requests she made no move to speed up the process or even show any empathy - she studiously ignored us. One of the worst examples of customer service I've seen in a while - and a complete contrast to the rest of the meal.

1  Thank intrepidvoyager1

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great wine list, good live music...perfect for happy hour. Good menu. Consistent service. Nice booths inside upstairs is little loud but great energy

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I have previously been to many Roy's restaurants (San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Pebble Beach, Newport Beach, San Diego, Kauai, Maui). We picked this location when we went to Honolulu (despite there being a Roy's on Waikiki in the Embassy Suites closer to where we were staying) because we wanted to try the original Roy's. We were not disappointed. This place is located at the end of a strip mall, but has all glass floor-to-ceiling windows that have a wide open view of the beach. If you want to watch the sunset at dinner, this is a great place to do it. The Roy's on Waikiki at the Embassy Suites Hotel is good for people watching (better for the younger crowd) but you cannot see the ocean at all. The Roy's at Ko Olina (the newest Roy's on Oahu) is on the Ko Olina golf course, but there is not much else out there unless you are staying at the new Disney Aulani Resort or the Marriott Ko Olina Resort.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I called for reservation @ 5pm for 3 people .After being on hold for a while and listening to a bunch of background chatter I was confirmed for 5pm.good. 20 minutes later I called back to try to change the reservation for 5 and I am placed on hold again to listen to more chatter, only to find out they can't do it because they would have to move in another table .Ok,so we tell our 2 friends about the problem and they said they will pass. So, we get there a little before 5 and they group groare moving chairs and tables all over the place in the lower level bar area to accommodate the non reservation crowd. We got seated upstairs at a table with 4 chairs and ample room for a fifth , surrounded with other tables the same size , about a third with 5 chairs in place, No one is seated at any of these tables for at least 30 minutes and 11 of them are unoccupied at 6:20 when we left.I asked the hostess at 5:30 what the deal was with not being able to add 1 chair to our table and the fact that the diner{not a real restaurant apparently} was half occupied. She said they were expecting a large group later. Total lame bs answer. So I go back to our table to order and our initially friendly waiter does not come back for about for about 10 minutes with a definite lack of enthusiasm but still polite. Obvious he knew we were not happy, but we understood it was not his fault and gave him a nice tip when the ordeal was all over. But it was not over. We ordered the chocolate soufflé desert when we arrived because it takes 30 minutes prep time. That arrived about 1 hour after the order. Again, the place was only half full so they can't make an excuse of how busy they were. About the other food: the seared ahi was very good. Beef appetizer was good. Abalone was fishy ,crab cakes were ok. the butterfish was also fishy.. I have dined at many fine seafood restaurants and many good seafood diners and this meal was not horrible ,but way below average and way too pricey. the food at the roadside food wagons is better at a tenth the price. I know it sounds like I am one of those whiners who can never be satisfied ,but this was a sorry dining experience and Roy needs to be aware of it. I have dined at Roy's in Kaui with much better results. Untli they fix it ,save your big bucks for a fine seafood restaurant ,not an average diner with an overated reputation and rip off prices.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had eaten here five or six years ago and really enjoyed it. This was our last night on the island so we decided to splurge. We knew it would be pricey but we decided to splurge.
We called for reservations mid-afternoon and had a nice table by the window with a beautiful view of the ocean.

Mai Tai’s from the bar were very good. Macadamia nut crusted white fish with asparagus and grilled blackened Ahi were just great. We had the signature chocolate soufflé for desert. It is just out of this world.

Service was great given that our server was struggling to keep up with a party of 10 seated next to us.

Cocktails, dinners, wine and coffee cost us around $190. The most expensive meal on our vacation but some of the best atmosphere, food and service of any place we visited.