“Good alternative when Duke's is Packed. Best views in Waikiki!!”

Chuck's Steak House
Ranked #86 of 2,368 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Waikiki
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good alternative when Duke's is Packed. Best views in Waikiki!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Good alternative when Duke's is Packed. Best views in Waikiki!!

“Overlooks Waikiki Beach...”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Overlooks Waikiki Beach and is a great place to watch the sunset each evening. Resturant & Bar has island flavor. Menu is simple but their beef is very good. Bob, the bartender is a Waikiki Beach legend and his drinks are known are well known. It is an art to watch him on a busy night. Ask for table 35, the best in the house overlooking Dukes Canoe Club, the beach and the sunset. Ask for Jetson, Chad or Bob and tell them Jeff Tucker, one of the 3Martini Guys sent you. The best item to have is not on the menu, but they may have a few in the back. They should know what I am talking about. My favorite place in all of Hawaii with great memories.

“great date place”
Reviewed December 30, 2007

great date place

Boise
“Yummy Filet Mignon!!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2007

My review for this place is a bit late, but I assume the steak will still be as awesome!

DH and I had a fabulous table by the rail, overlooked Waikiki Beach at night - I loved the view! The ocean at night, Waikiki Beach all lit up, soft breeze...it was great!

Now, I'm no steak expert, and I only eat red meat every now and then. But, when I do, I want a melt-in-your-mouth Filet Mignon. And I was NOT disappointed! It was soooo delicious, melted like butter in my mouth - seriously one of the best filet mignon I've ever had. DH had some other sort of steak (I don't remember as I was too involved in mine!) and I know he really enjoyed that as well.

The sald bar was average, nothing spectacular, and the service was fine too.

I definitely advise going here for a good steak - great view, SUPER steaks.... Yummy!

Los Angeles
“The Worst Steak ever!”
Reviewed October 16, 2007

During our stay at the Outrigger, we decided to eat at Chuck's Steak House. We were both exhausted and famished from our long day of kayaking, snorkeling and hiking, that we were really too tired to go anywhere outside the hotel and didn't want to do the usual wait of an hour for a table (as it is highly recommended to make reservations where ever you go). We were glad to hear that Chuck's does not accept reservations and we thought we would have a good chance to get a table.

What a mistake that was... maybe there is a reason as to why they do not take reservations. The waitstaff is dressed in polo shirts and shorts with sneakers and no, I am not a snob that requires full dress (I realize we are on the beach) but when you are charging $36 US dollars for a steak... you sort of expect a little bit more. They do not serve bread at the table... its offered at the all you can eat salad bar (and please don't let the all you can eat part fool you - you won't want to eat too much - it is not the best selection nor are the few vegetables they do served chopped nicely to eat). It was a disorganized display of carrot sticks along side alfalfa sprouts and heat-lamped warmed bread on freezing cold salad plates. But we didn't come for the salad... so no biggie. The menu is written on a old jug but again, is that what you expect for the amount of money that you are paying. To me, that is just a cheap novelty.

When our waiter finally made his way to our table (after 15 minutes with only a third of the restaurant occupied), he told us about their specials... but omitted the early bird specials since those were all under $20. The specials that he was referring to were the steak and lobster plates (the big money plates). Since we already knew what we wanted, it was not a big deal but word of caution if you do go - make sure to inquire about ALL their specials (even drinks). I ordered the Filet Mignon (medium rare) and my husband ordered the NY steak (also medium rare). When they arrived and the server put our plates down... we both looked at each other as if to wonder if we both had the same meat. They looked the same. And we've ordered the filet mignon and NY steak enough times to know that they look nothing like one another. In my first bite, I found the meat to be tough with a gritty consistency and it certainly was not medium rare. Not wanting to complain and ruin his meal, I inquired on his steak... the look on his face said it all. We both admitted that our steaks were terrible and tried each other's steak to compare. Same awful consistency. They both tasted like meat that had been sitting around for a long time - very gristley and granular. To tell you the truth, we couldn't tell the difference in look or taste of the filet from the NY... that's how bad they both were.

Neither of us finished our meals and a little befuddled on what to do with the steaks... we just finished our side dishes and were ready to leave. We didn't complain and took it as a learning experience - never to eat at Chuck's Steak House. We did over heard the two young guys at the table next to us speaking to their server about the quality of their meat and were given the "standard resaturant reply" of I'm sorry... but what came out of we don't know. The least I can do is caution others who head to Chuck's in the hopes of eating a good steak to stay away! Do not waste your money on seriously awful meat. Going to Chuck's was the worst decision we made on the entire trip and the very reason I created an identity on TripAdvisor - to caution others.

After reading the other few reviews, I realize that Chuck's preys upon the unknowng tourist to make the assumption that there is a steak house in a great location so who cares about serving quality or tasty food.

Go somewhere else for better quality and tasting food with more experience, better offering and preparation of meats. If you want a nice view and a cheap mai tai (I think they have $3 happy hour) then maybe Chuck is your place but for steaks - do NOT go to Chuck's!! You can enjoy the same beautiful beach, people watching and sunsets at Duke's or Hula Grill without the awful food experience. And reservations are recommended.

2 Thank MoChoLA