“Fantastic little place”
Review of Green Papaya Cafe

Green Papaya Cafe
Ranked #1,185 of 2,421 Restaurants in Honolulu
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love Green Papaya! They have so many delicious vegetarian options. The tofu/veg pho with veg broth and the garden rolls are worth the visit alone. The place is clean and the staff friendly.
Take out is quick and a regular for me.

There are newer reviews for Green Papaya Cafe

Reviewed April 20, 2012

It is quite funny to see the large vegetarian sign and then all the different meat dishes pictured underneath. . Lovely salad rice wraps, chicken dish so so. I'm not crazy about tofu, and wanted just vegetables, but there wasn't any dish other than green papaya salad that didn't come with tofu or meat and they couldn't accomodate that. Still overall reminded me of a good meal I had in Hoi An many years back, minus the snake.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I'm not the biggest tofu fan, but there are a few dishes that highlight that I think are to die for. One of those is the signature Green Papaya Salad with Lemon Grass Tofu. Green papaya salads are pretty common fare in the numerous Asian restaurants in Honolulu, but this is the only one I've seen where they take it to another level. The tofu is flash fried to give it a solid outer crust that provides the perfect textural companion to the fleshy crush of the julienned papaya.

We haven't had a bad meal here. My wife usually enjoys their pho, while I often double down on the lemon grass tofu by ordering off their vegetarian page at the back of the menu. Their spring rolls are solid, and their mixed plates are not to be missed.

The restaurant has expanded by acquiring the corner business, and are trying to rebrand themselves as a shabu shabu option. We haven't tried that yet, and I'll come back and update my review once we have.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

Had a good meal in here recently.
Went to the Green Papaya on Keeomoku St.
They have a mixed meat/veggie menu.
We had the spring rolls - excellent, fried rice - excellent, tofu sauteed in lemongrass & chilli - excellent and the vegetarian pho - average.
As you can see the pho was the only let down probably because the veggie version is not made the same way as the meat version which has beef broth and spices.
The veggie version had very little flavour and I certainly couldnt taste any cinnamon or star anise as is normally the case.
However the restaurant was full of asians which is a good sign and the meal with the exception of the pho was excellent.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Campbell, California
Reviewed December 19, 2007

vegetarian cuisine in an island of sea food. not bad, not the greatest

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook