“Great Sushi away from touristy Waikiki”
Review of Tokkuritei

Ranked #333 of 2,510 Restaurants in Honolulu
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Ordered grilled octopus and teriaki squid-yum. My sister and I were surprised with the freshness. Would go there again.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

A must walk through or eat through the menu!!!

#1 Sake Dynamite... I cannot believe of all 4 nights I did not try it until the 4th!!! Salmon, avocado, mushroom, and a little spice goodness. I really wish I could find this in LA CA. Hauntingly great and unique.
#2 All the poke. My favorite is the Jalapeño
#3 Salmon Salad is number 3 but only because everything else is so goo too. Ordered it 4 nights in a row and often wished I ordered 2... of the full salad.
#4 The Corey Tofu. I would love to have tried all the tofu on the menu.

I love this place and cannot wait to come back.

1  Thank BRTStark22
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Tokkuri Tei is according to me the best sushi place in Honolulu, kind of not a cheap place but worthwhile a visit. If you sit at the counter the creative chef Kazu San and his helper Eugene just put plates in front of you without you asking and every dish is marvelous. I was in Japan and I can say that this place is up to Japan standards. On top of that the people are nice, the atmosphere is not the same as in the old Sheridan place but attractive nonetheless.. You do not have to know what to order, they will do everything for you!

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Went to dinner with dear friends of mine, who were visiting from the mainland. A friend in high places had told them it was of utmost importance that they eat at Tokkuri Tei. "Above anything else you may do while on Oahu, you must eat at Tokkuri Tei." And now, I understand why.

I'd like to start off by saying there's $3 valet parking. It's easy to find the restaurant, and easy to park. In Honolulu/Waikiki, that's like winning the lottery. Once you walk in the restaurant, things get even better!

The wait staff is friendly and more than happy to answer questions and explain anything on the menu. Our glasses were always full, and our server's timing was spot on- every time we were just about ready to order something new, she would appear and ask if she could get us something. Truly exceptional service! The chefs are also a happy, jovial bunch. It's obvious they love what they do, and do it well.

As for the food. Oh, my, goodness. We tried a few sushi rolls, which were TOP quality- so fresh and tasty, beautifully presented, as well as unique. I've never had tuna prepared like tar-tar, topping a California roll. That's the Kilauea roll, it's huge, and a must try. The tempura salmon is some of the best salmon I've had. A lovely salty and savory flavor accompanies the crispy fried pieces of fish. The tempura butterfish was my favorite. Simple, served with a miso sauce that made the flavors explode in mouth. I can't even begin to describe the deliciousness. And then there was the unagi sashimi. We had to give my friend a moment to compose herself, after she tried a piece. Upon seeing her speechless, twitching in delight, I ordered two pieces for myself. The unagi melts in your mouth, like custard. And that's a good thing. A very, very good thing. Also had chicken hearts, chicken skins, chicken livers, beef tongue, and pork with gobo. Things you might be hesitan to order, but I insist you throw out your inhibitions, and go for it. The chefs at Tokkuri Tei know how to cook these delicious morsels, and cook them right.

There were soooo many things I wanted to try, but as they say, all good things must come to an end. Hey, I have the excellent memories, and I can say I've dined at Tokkuri Tei. There should be a lifetime achievement award for anyone who has the fortune of eating at this wonderful establishment. I admonish you to join the club!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We live here and this is one of the best izakaya sushi bars in town. We don't come here as often as we like because it is expensive. The menu is extensive with many small dishes, and everything is delicious.

1  Thank Lari Y