“Family style dim sum”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Honolulu
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is not a five star deal - it is a family style dim sum restaurant. Nothing fancy- the dim sum is Hong Kong style a thin almost translucent dough - NOT thick and pasta-ish as some American adapted dim sum can be.

It is a good value for the price. The service is OK but we've been in dim sum restaurants in Hong Kong. Some would find it unattentive- but rest assure - it is like this even in good dim sum places in Hong Kong.

There are newer reviews for Mei Sum Chinese Dim Sum Restaurant

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We found this place according to a newspaper article that list all the low cost but good food restaurants in hawaii. Some of the places have gone out of business.

The food was very good. Seafood dishes had quite some decent amount of seafood, not like some other places just one or two slice and rest are tofu. The price was very reasonable, considering it was at hawaii. Most of the dishes tasked very good. We tried to order one special kind of dim sum but they ran out.

The waitress included 15% tips in the bill but could not run the charge through. So she asked me to put the tips by my own. I ended up gave them 18% tip. They are not the only restaurant doing this. Because a lot of customers are one time visitor. Some of them may not give tips.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Dim sum is consistently good (try the pan fried pork buns and deep fried garlic chicken wings), but service is uneven -- could use more waitresses.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Had dinner with my wife. The menu is not very friendly. Waiting until the waitress would talk on the phone. Take several types of dim sum, nothing special. Look in the menu and in reality is different.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I had to admit that their dim sum taste good...however I can't tolerate their attitude. I've been there with my husband many times and observed that most of the staff are not working with a happy spirit and seem like it's because of the owner. The owner sometimes micro-managed the staff on the dining area, and I can hear clearly what the owner was trying to boss them around (Chinese is my native language so I can understand everything they say). And today we had our last straw and decided not to go back no matter how good tasting the dim sum is. Here is what happened today.
My husband ordered a take out Char Siu Bao (Steamed BBQ Pork Bun) for me after work, then took the bus back home so I could eat it. It was for me so he wouldn't know if there was anything wrong in the bun until I ate it. So he came home and I immediately ate it. There were 2 Char Siu Bao in 1 order. I finished the first Char Siu Bao, and then started on the second one, once I pulled the second one apart, I found a body hair inside! It was very GROSS! I almost vomitted. According to the thickness of the hair, it looked more like some sort of facial hair instead of the hair from the head. So it grossed me out even more!!!!! I asked my husband to take it back right away and asked them to change it out. So my husband drove back to the restaurant right away, and told the server (who took his order earlier) about the hair. The server's initial response was not nice, she wanted to blame the hair on us instead because it "has been a while" since the Char Siu Bao left the restaurant. That's so lame!!! It's a take out, no one is gonna know if there is anything wrong until the order got home and be eaten. And it takes time to travel from the restaurant to home. So my husband got upset with that initial response. But he showed her that it's inside the bun so it can't be our own hair. Then she took it back and only gave my husband 1 Char Siu Bao back cause only 1 hasn't been eaten. They don't do refund, and did not replace the whole order. The server said it's the owner's decision of only giving us 1 coz the other had been eaten already. Since we have observed that everyone isn't serving with good attitude and the owner is very irritating, they don't deserve any business from us anymore. I would rather pay somewhere else that provides a healthier work atmosphere to the staff and more sane experience to customers. Not going back because of the owner and the attitudes that he had trained his staff. I can't really blame the staff, I only blame the owner, as he isn't a nice one to start with, making the staff following his bad attitude. Very irritating and annoying to see that happening.

1  Thank zban