“Outstanding”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Excellent food--I'm still thinking about my dinner a week later. The service was fast and pleasant. This place is about a 40 minute walk from Waikiki (not sure how far by car); note that the atmosphere of the restaurant is not very pleasant, so I suggest you get your food to go. Note that there's a terrific wine store in the same little strip mall; pick up a bottle while waiting for your food.

There are newer reviews for Gina's Barbeque

Reviewed February 24, 2013

food is excellent however, the owner person charged me wrong price for twice and also gave me less change for one time(I gave her $20 for $8 plate and she gave me $2 back) When I confronted her about it she was very rude and gave me bad attitude.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We've been a fan of Gina's BBQ for years. The owner is really nice and would always give you something extra if ever there are delays in getting your food. But that changed on a recent visit when the owner was not present.

Our order went in ahead of 6 or 7 other patrons but for some reason, and unknown to us at the time, the plate prep person forgot about out ticket and put it to the side. After everyone else was called forward to select their side vegetables, we wondered what had happened to our plates. We asked the person who took our order if they had forgotten about our plates and his response was that some items take longer than others.

The gentleman asked the person preparing the plates in Korean about our order and he finally located our ticket tossed to the side. He did not apologize to us about their error and simply went about his business hoping we would not realize what happened. Such poor customer service and definitely not what "Gina" would have done.

I admit that Gina's food is excellent and their service is normally good considering how busy they are. But they really dropped the ball on our order and did not have the decency to admit their fault. Perhaps the restaurant is doing such good business but has forgotten about what got them to where they are today. If I were "Gina" I would make sure that her staff is providing consistently good customer service especially during her absence. Otherwise, the restaurant may start losing its customer base after a few more oversights like we experienced. Just my 2 cents.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This little Korean restaurant is not in Waikiki and parking was a bit hard to find but everything we tried tasted really good and we found the prices very reasonable. It is definitely not upscale (more like a casual local hangout place) and it has no view if you are looking for that sort of things, but the food was really good, so I would definitely recommend it if you like korean quisine.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This Korean eatery is a a hole in the wall restaurant in a strip mall with a grocery store - Foodland, that I was going to. The food photos looked good and there was a steady stream of people going in and out - mostly locals.

The bad: the restaurant is the size of a postage stamp and the ladies running the place need a lesson on how to deal with the public, as I dealt with two, and they were pretty crabby. They reminded me of the "soup nazi" on Seinfeld. Approach the counter, give your order and back away. I was not familiar with Korean dishes, and when asked what vegetables I wanted, I asked simply what they were, as I could only recognize the kim chi. She treated the question like I asked if there were bugs in the food. When i picked up the take-out order, another lady made a big fuss as I was taking 4 sets of plastic cutlery (there were 4 of us) and she raised her voice saying "that's enough!" as if I was stealing from her (and they put nothing in the bag for utensils).

The good? The food quality is pretty good - meats and rice very good. The portion was indeed huge and the price was only $20 for the mini family pack, which would feed 4 people, not 2-3 as advertised. The fried dumplings bit greasy and tasteless though..

Service wise:1-2/5 but the food was a 4/5. The price was very inexpensive.

Next time: I'll order, pay, pick up and leave.