“Very Consistent Food!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Honolulu
“Very Consistent Food!”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I often have dinner here with a group of my friends (10 to 14). Here are dishes that are everyone’s favorite:

*Salt and Pepper Calamari & Salt and Pepper Uhu (uhu is a local fish also known as Parrot fish, it’s meat is white and has a fair amount of oil making it great for battering.) I usually order ½ to 1 order of each and have it combined on a plate. This possibly will be one of the best fried calamari dishes you’ll have in Honolulu.
*Sautee string beans with minced pork
*Lettuce wraps w/ either minced pork or you can ask for chicken
*Sesame pockets with Lamb & scallions or minced pork
*Smoked Tea duck
*Moo Shu Pork (sort of like a Chinese burrito)
*Walnut Shrimp

Basically everything is good but these are our favorites. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank davealoha

Hawaii
“Better Chinese Restaurants in Honolulu”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

A preferred restaurant by those who are from the homeland, and I would agree.

2 Thank DaPheonix
Tokyo
“Over charged and large tip was already on the bill.”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The food quality was quite good. The problem was that the bill was about $200 for 2 vegetable dish -half portion, a shrimp -half portion,tofu w/ spinach- half portion, 2 glass of house wine and lobster.

The head waiter had asked if we were from Japan and then gave me a bill with a healthily tip he had filled in.

Is this the Hawaiian way to treat a well travelled couple?

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank seki5633
Honolulu, Hawaii
“They ripped me off!!!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I took 2 of my clients from Japan to Kirin Chinese restaurant only because they wanted to try... OMG!!!! The bill was $198 for 3 people and we had only one Tsingtao beer. They charged me $25.90 for 2 cups (you know how small the typical Chinese white cups are) of soup. 1 small lobster was $75.... I couldn't argue front of my clients so I asked for itemized receipt/bill. They were not happy but gave me one. I came home and called them back to complain then they said the soup had "shark fins"... shark fins just got banned in Hawaii and shark fins soup was crossed out on the menu. What they did was charged me for 2 bowls instead of 2 cups of soups intentionally. they also charge me tripple weight of the lobster. They agreed to credit me $50 after all because I told them that I will report to BBB.

I've heard some restaurants in Hawaii ripped off Japanese tourist but I never thought that it could actually happen to me!!!! Let's see if they are going to credit me back or not.... I will still report to BBB after this. Please tell all your friends about my terrible experience at Kirin Chinese Restaurant!!!

• Visited July 2011
6 Thank Sakura868
Slidell, Louisiana
“Wonderful Service with really good food!”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We found this restaurant on trip advisor. We loved the food and service. We stopped here for lunch on our way to Diamond Head. Prior to arriving at Kirin our car was burglarized at a local beach(Makapuu Point Beach). My wife was visibly upset. The owner's wife took notice and was apologetic for our misfortune. She gave all 6 of us free deserts and half the meal was "on the house". She refused to accept our tip as well. These owners are a class act, and serve some excellent Chinese food. Try them, you won't be disappointed!!!