“Consistent Neighborhood Sushi Bar/ Restaurant”

Yohei Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #486 of 2,340 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Consistent Neighborhood Sushi Bar/ Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Yohei was one of my parent's favorite restaurants because it was a quaint, the staff was always down to earth and the food was good. A lot of very pretentious restaurants have fallen by the wayside but not Yohei. The other night after catering a large party, I just wanted comfort food in a clean, pleasant and intimate setting. I had the sushi zen combination which is when you experience a mini tasting menu all on one tray. It was fantastic! I got an assortment of the sushi chef's choice + cold soba noodles, miso soup, broiled salmon, and about ten more mini-tastings. I left very content and the tab was resonable. Whenever we have guests from Japan that one of the first places we think of.

• Visited July 2014

• Korean first
Haiku, Hawaii
“Over rated Japanese food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

i was told that this would have true Japanese food. just like in Japan........NOT........the miso soup was very salty ,,,,not very flavorful......the butterfish misoyaki was bland.....the okada was also bland and the shrimp tempura was just ok......not even close to what you would get in Japan.....much better food at Kabuki Restaurant.........

• Visited May 2014
Ohio
“One of the freshest sushi restaurants ever...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We ended up eating here waiting for our son's plane to arrive. Not far from the airport. What a surprise. This place is VERY under-rated for Tripadvisor. It is small in size but big on flavor! This was one of the best places for sushi I have ever been when it comes to freshness. They do not do spicey or fancy....the owner told us this right away. I personally love spicy, but I love fresh seafood in my sushi even more. Very affordable! Wow I love this place. I WILL return again!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited December 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Amazingly consistent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Recently dined again at Yohei with some adventurous out-of-town gaijins. Took them to Yohei for "omakase" at their sushi bar where I've never experienced a bad meal. I always thought of Yohei's sushi as "traditional yet contemporary." In other words they have a modern twist on traditional sushi presentation, but unlike a lot of modern sushi places rely on the freshest ingredients instead of masking them with sauces. A great example is the amaebi with uni and chiso. That said their toro, hamachi, and maguro were amazing.

Next time you are craving sushi, good sushi I should say, treat yourself to an amazing meal at Yohei and let their sushi artisans be the ones to craft your meal. You will not be disappointed!

Portland, Or
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sushi lovers, unite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Okay, it helps at Yohei to know sushi. But this is one of the most innovative and excellent sushi bars we have even seen anywhere in the US. We sat at the sushi bar on both visits. After ordering about 3 of our favorites, we told the sushi master that we want to try the things that he thinks are especially good. This was an incredibly successful strategy. The flounder nigiri, the yellowtail, the snapper, and many more whose names and descriptions we didn't quite hear correctly made our visits memorable. The prices for our long lunches were high. But how often do you have the chance to try the best work of a great sushi master?

• Visited February 2012