“Dining with Class”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went with a party of six on a Saturday night. Reservations were for 5:30 and when we arrived the staff greeted us at the front door. Nice beginning. The interior is nicely done with low lighting and a seating arrangement that although there were others, it still seemed private. The waiter we had was very well prepared, knowing the menu and specials as if he owned the place. Very polite and friendly. Actually, in all my years of dining he was probably the best, to the point where I summoned over the owner and suggested that he be elevated to the head waiter.

The menu selection caters to all pallets. I had the duck, which was service as it should, on the medium rare side. Succulent, moist and a generous portion, the entree was presented on a beautiful platter with a side of vegetables. My wife had the Colorado rack of lamb. Needless to say, a very generous double cut cooked to perfection. Obviously by what I saw coming out of the kitchen the chef if not, should be a James Beard award winner. Others at our table had the lobster and double cut pork chops. A very good selection of desserts, after dinner liqueurs and coffees completed the overall experience. Would I go back? Definitely. How soon? I wish tomorrow. If you're wanting a fine dining experience this is the place.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We entertained six family members from the mainland last night and had a truly memorable experience. Absolutely everything was fantastic with the fois gras, rib eye steak and mashed potatoes better than anything we had ever had before. The restaurant is fairly small with mostly an upscale local clientele - because it's located in the Niu Valley Shopping Mall and a good 30 minute drive from Waikiki. Plenty of free parking. Service was excellent. We will definitely return more often.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

What a wonderful little restaurant this is in a funky strip mall in Hawaii Kai. But it is ALWAYS packed. The atmosphere is cozy and warm, the servers attentive and the food out of this world. I made such noises eating the escargot that a lady at another table said, "I'll have what she's having! Not really, but I did make a lot of ooohs and ahhs eating them. It's hard to get good shortribs - there's an art to them, but the Bistro has mastered this art. They were perfectly cooked and with a marvelous port wine sauce. I was so full Ionly shared a creme brulee, which was good but then it's hard to ruin creme brulee.

1  Thank Dodyv
Reviewed December 15, 2012

In the Hawaii Kai area a few blocks from Roy's (another must on our visits), this may now be our favorite Oahu restaurant. French. A nice, small dining room in a small strip mall means that you money all goes for the quality of food and service and not for rent. Very generous portions prepared exactly to your specifications. I had beautiful lamb that was world class. An app of foie gras was so good that we ordered it TWICE before having the main courses. A nice affordable wine list included the perfect premier cru burgundy. Sassacia grappy as a finish ! Wow A bit over $300 for two with wine. In San Franciso or New York this place would be impossible to get reservations, and the price for our dinner would certainly have been around $500. RESERVATIONS ARE IMPORTANT.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have eaten dinner at Le Bistro at least 15-18+ times since it opened eleven years ago and never once have I been the least disappointed. My partner, friends and I have had a wide range of appetizers, salads and entrees, and yes desserts… too many to list here. The French and continental food created by Chef Takasaki is ‘melt in your mouth’ super wonderful {always!}, his wife Debbie does an excellent and gracious job of managing the restaurant, and the mostly young floor staff provides friendly and fine table service. The place is warm and cozy with a sort of combination comfortable understated elegance to the facilities and ambience and casual Island attire is quite appropriate. The restaurant location is well out of Waikiki but well worth a drive or taxi fare. Be sure to phone for reservations, and ask for one of Nathan’s tables as he is a very engaging and attentive young man providing very good service.