“Pleased with another visit to Chef Mavro”
Review of Chef Mavro

Chef Mavro
Reserve with OpenTable
Chef Mavro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 2,391 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American, French, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: McCully
Transit: From Waikiki get on TheBus #2 (School St./Middle St.) at Kuhio & Seaside. Get off at S. King St. and walk 10 minutes to Chef Mavro 1969 S. King St. Taxi is recommended. If driving, parking lot entrance is from S. King.
Description: Taste the flavors of Hawaii and Provence paired with exciting wine pairings that earn the highest food rating in Hawaii (18/20 Gayot). Flexible course menus include lobster, wagyu beef, onaga, pork, lamb & local produce. Romantic occasions & business entertaining. Executive Chef Jeremy Shigekane and Pastry Chef Jose Calpito add exciting contemporary style to the award-winning menus. Don't miss the sustainable caviar & the Grand Tasting Menu. Mavro's brigade of young chefs share his philosophy: always buy the best and freshest, buy local, treat all products with great respect, and start afresh every season with new ideas and creative recipes.
New Castle, New Hampshire
“Pleased with another visit to Chef Mavro”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our family has enjoyed many visits to Chef Mavro over the past several years. Once again this January we made a visit and here are a few thoughts I'd like to share:

Yes, it is expensive so you need to plan and expect that.
Yes, it is a very unique and worthwhile dining experience because:
-Mavro is a creative chef, combining lots of interesting and high quality ingredients into a very pleasing, unique and satisfying set of dishes.
-The wine pairings are very nice and complement the meal well. We usually share a single pairing between two of us which we've found to be about a perfect amount of wine to complement the meal being served.
-Finally, coming to Mavro's is a unique experience in that "all the work is done for you". Mavro works hard to put together a set of choices and dishes and wines that do go together very well. You don't have to worry whether what you order is going to make for a satisfying dining experience. That's Mavro's job and he does it well.
-I believe the menu changes about 4 time per year so that is something to keep in mind.
-Wait staff is excellent and personable. Always a pleasure.

Hope this helps.

• Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“#1 - this time”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Better than all the others - we are on a quest for food on this trip to Honolulu. All of us are former residents of Hawaii and wanted to catch up with some old favorites as well as what is new in town. Turns out there is plenty of both. Mavro's had been touted by many and none of us had been there before. A small off street parking lot greeted us making it easy to park. A charming,smiling hostess greeted us and seated us with no wait. After the obligatory greetings and beverage service we all decided to have the 4 course sampler prix fixe extravaganza . We also had one with the wine pairings to see how that all came together. We had the four course as we had the 8 course meal at Alan Wong's earlier in the week and found it to be too much food. This evening's repast was perfect. Capped off with a visit from the chef's wife (would have been nice if the chef dropped by . Each course was beautiful, tasty, unique, creative complimentary to one another and just made for a wonderful gustatorial experience. We will return.

Kahala, Hawaii, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chef Mavro-GREAT!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My first rating indication was to give this restaurant 4-stars. My reasoning for this was my natural ideal that we all have areas where we can improve. So, to give a lower score could further motivate one to do better, and not settle for status quo. Having said this, I rethought my experience at Chef Mavro and quickly and immediately changed my mind and upped their star rating to 5-Woohoo level.

The night my wife and I ate at CM; it was our first time going there and we didn't know what to expect. We just finished shopping at the mall and our dress style for that day was casual. CM and their stay of course welcomed us in to dine at their restaurant. Wow! What a nice restaurant, I thought and they had no airs about whom to serve. they truly reflected the spirit of Hawaii-Aloha.

My wife and I both ordered course. Each dish was intricately designed with lovely colors, delightful aromas, and top quality ingredients from eggs, fish, poultry, and meat. Our taste buds were truly tantalized throughout our evening.

The total cost for us-two was quite reasonable for such a gorgeous dinning experience. I have lived in Hawaii all my life and I am always in search for an awesome restaurant that can make my personal top-five list. Chef Mavro definitely makes my list and even better still is that it makes my #1 on that list too.

Please try this restaurant. If you have already gone and ate at this restaurant, please continue to go often and support them so that they can continue to offer wonderful meals. Me ke aloha from a big fan now living in Japan.

1 Thank Kawena Anthony M
phila
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

High quality ingredients but most dishes were just average....not what you expect for the price. Decor was bland too....fake flowers....looked like a former Chinese restaurant. Don't waste your money. I am still upset I did.

The waitstaff was excellent, very knowledgeable. That's really the only reason I gave them 2 stars and not 1.

• Visited January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Decadent”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We came to Mavro's with much anticipation. The staff and service were wonderful, Mavro actually came out and spoke with us, that was a nice touch. The food was prepared and presented well. 1/2 of the dishes were excellent in taste, the other 1/2 was quite different. It is for a true foodie. If there are people in your party that don't eat certain things and are particular, or can't appreciate fine cuisine, they might find it overwhelming. I don't think this is the resturant for all palates.

1 Thank Louisewrites