“Not worth the money”
Review of Chef Mavro

Chef Mavro
Reserve with OpenTable
Chef Mavro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #157 of 2,357 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: McCully
Transit: From Waikiki get on TheBus #2 (School St./Middle St.) at Kuhio & Seaside. Get off at S. King St. and walk 10 minutes to Chef Mavro 1969 S. King St. Taxi is recommended. If driving, parking lot entrance is from S. King.
Description: Taste the flavors of Hawaii and Provence paired with exciting wine pairings that earn the highest food rating in Hawaii (18/20 Gayot). Flexible course menus include lobster, wagyu beef, onaga, pork, lamb & local produce. Romantic occasions & business entertaining. Executive Chef Jeremy Shigekane and Pastry Chef Jose Calpito add exciting contemporary style to the award-winning menus. Don't miss the sustainable caviar & the Grand Tasting Menu. Mavro's brigade of young chefs share his philosophy: always buy the best and freshest, buy local, treat all products with great respect, and start afresh every season with new ideas and creative recipes.
phila
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

High quality ingredients but most dishes were just average....not what you expect for the price. Decor was bland too....fake flowers....looked like a former Chinese restaurant. Don't waste your money. I am still upset I did.

The waitstaff was excellent, very knowledgeable. That's really the only reason I gave them 2 stars and not 1.

• Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Decadent”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We came to Mavro's with much anticipation. The staff and service were wonderful, Mavro actually came out and spoke with us, that was a nice touch. The food was prepared and presented well. 1/2 of the dishes were excellent in taste, the other 1/2 was quite different. It is for a true foodie. If there are people in your party that don't eat certain things and are particular, or can't appreciate fine cuisine, they might find it overwhelming. I don't think this is the resturant for all palates.

1 Thank Louisewrites
chicago
“Big money, big disappointment”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Big money, big disappointment. Dull uninteresting atmosphere. Not haute cuisine 21st century. I had the feeling they were cheap!

1 Thank Hbockweg
Seattle, WA
“The food is excellent, but...”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Overall, we thought the food was excellent, but we couldn't get past the cheap feeling of the atmosphere.

We had the six course menu ($128 p/p): Egg-truffle, foie gras , lobster-lemongrass, lamb, feta, and chocolate. My girlfriend does not eat foie gras and barely touched her rare lamb. (Our server did not explain that the menus are flexible as I now see on other reviews.) She still got enough to eat, but was not able to enjoy the full experience.

Each course was interesting and well prepared. There was a good mix between land and sea. The portions appeared small, but we were both satisfied by the end of the meal. In fact, we could not finish dessert.

We also went with the wine pairings ($63 p/p). The wines were generally very good and paired well with the foods. Tho, they were pretty stingy pours. Part of the adventure is to try different wines with the courses. It did not bother me that they don't offer a wine list. They're not pouring expensive wines. For the kind of money we're paying for dinner they should be coming around and offering a bit more wine if they see your glass is empty with a particular course.

The atmosphere feels like a cheap restaurant. I understand that it's not going to be located in a nice neighborhood and that they're saving money for the food. As hard as we tried we could not get past the feeling that we were eating in a chain restaurant. The decor is plain. The lighting was very bright at our table. I would have expected more refined dishes, flatware, and stemware.

Service was pretty good. All of the servers were polite and informed. Some of the timing between courses was off. I think we were one of the few tables enjoying the six-course meal that evening. That seemed to throw them off. We didn't really mind the slower pace for our food. For a regular restaurant I would say the service was great. But again, for this price and when compared with other fine dining restaurants, the service must be impeccable and totally professional.

I'm glad we tried Chef Mavro. We went with high expectations that were only partially met. The food was great. If money were no object we would be willing to give them another try.

Sydney, Australia
“No special occasion meal in Honolulu, like Chef Mavro”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I live in Honolulu, and this still rates as my number one fine dining location in Honolulu, and one of my favorites in the world. My partner and I dined here again, and the service and atmosphere complete the meal. Donna Mavro always makes you feel like you are coming back as a repeat guest. With the menu changing seasonally, every visit is slightly different, with still the same comforts of the last visit. Don't eat much the day of your visit and take the 6 course tasting with the paired wines. The staff do a good job of selecting the wines democratcally to go with the food. When my mother visits from California, we always make a special trip to Chef Mavro. Don't even try and mince words that it is pricey; it is. But the experience is well worth it. Daniel was our main server this visit, and we have had him in the past, and he is amazing tableside...knowledgable and friendly. Can't wait for the next visit.

2 Thank 160AdamH160