“Great break from fish”

La Cucaracha Mexican Bar & Grill
Ranked #1,716 of 2,340 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Tucson, Arizona
“Great break from fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've eaten here a couple of times on recent business trips. Always fresh food, great drinks, and friendly service. Cool outdoor second floor patio. Misty tending bar tops off a great evening of Mexican food and drink. Another Arizona Mexican food "expert".

• Visited November 2012

• Korean first
Waikiki, Hawaii, United States
“Decent food, Nice view.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The food was definitely priced very high, but it was good overall. I had the chicken chipotle, which was more spicy than I expected for mexican food in Hawaii. It was $18 which is very spendy but thats what you have to expect in Waikiki, especially with the nice view we had. We sat near the railing of the restaurant and we could see surfers at Waikiki beach as well as all the girls in bikinis walking to and from the beach. Our waiter Riley was very prompt and helpful which always makes any dining experience that much better. Overall if you are looking for mexican food in Waikiki, (which is scarce) La Cucaracha is a solid option if you are down to spend the money. Maybe a good place for dinner and a drink with a date I suppose.

• Visited October 2012
“Forget about it..just walk on by!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Was in Waikiki on Halloween and was hungry, this place seemed cute and had quite a few diners. The server appeared quickly and took a drink order. The server delivered the drinks rather quick and were fine. (Hard to ruin a beer). My friend wanted hot wings, which is something I don't really think would be good at a Mexican restaurant, but the price was ok. The price of everything else was however, quite ridiculous. I probably should have listened to my inner food critic and left, but I did not. I chose fish tacos with beans and rice for $16. Crazy price, but burritos etc were all between $16-20...high even for Hawaii standards. Then we asked for one crispy and, one soft and were told they do not make substitutions! Wow, on a taco plate that has a choice in the first place and then they would not give one of each? That is a sad decision, as I never dine at a place twice when they have such silly 'rules' about substitutions. The food arrived fairly fast and my tacos were ok, not much flavor and small for the price, the rice and beans were fine, nothing great. My friends hot wings were old and kinda grayish and had a bit of taco, yes taco sauce on them. They were terrible. I kinda knew they would be, but oh well. Needless to say, we left still hungry and will not return again. My advice os skip Mexicam food in Waikiki, nobody has figured it out yet! Especially this place.

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Breath of fresh air!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Okay, first of all, we're from Arizona. We know Mexican food. And to stumble across this cute little place on Waikiki Beach was a breath of fresh air. Let me start with our waitress, a sweet girl named Kulani. Upbeat, energetic, genuinely interested in where we were from and how we were liking our stay in Hawaii, and very helpful answering our questions about the menu. Husband ordered the Kalua plate (a delectable shredded pork dish wrapped in a ti leaf) and I ordered the picaros plate w/ shredded beef. Let me just say that this is the first time with Mexican food where we felt like we really, truly got what we paid for. Sure, the prices are higher than what we're used to in Arizona, but that chef back there in the kitchen knows how to COOK. And the quality of the food was way beyond what we were expecting. No, they don't try to stuff you up before your meal with a huge bowl of chips & salsa, because they don't have to - our food arrived surprisingly quickly, and we dug in immediately. For dessert, we split a serving of pumpkin flan - also perfectly prepared and scrumptious. So if we'd eaten a huge bowl of chips before our meal like we do at most Mexican restaurants, our appetites would have been ruined. Now let me get to the drinks. You MUST try the coconut pineapple margarita. You may not think they put much tequila in there at first, but after your second margarita you'll be feeling it, and you'll also realize that they just know how to make a good bold drink taste exquisitely refreshing. Don't let the name fool you. The decor, atmosphere, friendly service from both hostess and waitress, and quick turnaround time will leave you satisfied and maybe even spoiled for all that cheap Mexican food back home.

“Awesome margaritas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had a mango and it was the best I ever had! Blew my home town out the water! Mario was a great bartender.