“Welcomed like a local- so worth it!”
Review of ONO Hawaiian Foods - CLOSED

ONO Hawaiian Foods
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our first time staying in Waikiki and seeking local fare, ONO was just what we were looking for in an authentic Hawaiian plate lunch. We took a bus from downtown and walked right in, no wait (1pm on a Tuesday). Quickly greeted and enjoyed most of our lunch chatting with the owners about how Seattle never sees the sun and is missing its share of Hawaiian restaurants. We shared the combo plate of Kailua pork and lau lau with all the extras as mentioned by others, they even gave us a little extra haupia for dessert. Friendly family owned business, delicious authentic plate lunches, looking forward to our next trip already. Will be back to try the butterfish and stew. Thanks ONO!

1  Thank Amie L

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Recently, friends were in town from the mainland and wanted to try Hawaiian food. I read about Ono Hawaiian Foods before and saw them on a few television shows, so I decided we would try it. Having lived on Oahu for eight months now, I have to say I thought the food was rather good. I am always partial to kalua pork, which reminds me of pulled pork from Georgia, the Carolinas, etc. where I lived before. The dish here was tasty and even better with the vinegar sauce on the table. One friend had a whole sample platter for about $16.00 with pork lau lau, pipikaula, kimchee, poi, and haupia!!! If you don't know what any of those dishes are you definitely need to try them out while in the islands. Briefly though, lau lau can come with butterfish, pork, or chicken, and the protein is cooked in banana leaves, pipikaula is fried pork kind of like a beef jerky, kimchee is Korean, fermented cabbage, poi is pounded taro which is definitely an acquired taste, and haupia is a coconut custard jelly that you eat for dessert. I had the chicken lau lau, which reminded me of the chicken in chicken soup. It was very moist and tasty. I also love kimchee and haupia, which the lady brought us an extra order. All were solid!

The place is a total dive, and you are suppose to stand outside to wait for a table. We went on a Thursday afternoon around 11:30, and we did not wait at all. The place is cash only, so be prepared. If you forget to bring cash, like we did, there is a Bank of Hawaii with an outdoor atm diagonal across the street. There is only street parking, so that can be tough, but if you drive around a bit you are bound to find a space.

It is worth checking out to get some local, Hawaiian food which is otherwise hard to find on the island unless you have a local cook it for you! So grab a quick, cheap, good lunch at Ono!

2  Thank Nicole G
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Within walking distance of the east end of Waikiki beach and its pricy, tourist-oriented whatever, you can sample authentic Hawaiian fare at this no-nonsense hole in the wall. We were warned about a potentially long wait, but still jet-lagged, we got to Ono’s early and were seated immediately. The Honolulu residents at the next table recommended the combination plate to us first-timers. For $22, it was plenty of food for my wife and me, including laulau, beef jerky, delicious kaulua pulled pork with poi or rice, lomi salmon, etc. Virtually every dish provided a new and delightful taste. The poi by itself was not a treat, but eaten with the pork was OK. We would not hesitate to go back, if our Hawaiian vacation weren’t over.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place is just too overrated. The line isn't worth the wait. There are other choices, like Hailes, a block up the street on the same side. Onos is decent food, but its lost something in the past several years.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is just a small place, but friendly service. I wasn't sure what I was getting when I came in here, but saw it was recommended highly as a place to try some Hawaiian food. I ended up with the Kahlua pork. I did not get the plate because it was $18. The pork was good and now I know what Hawaiian food is. I will stick to the places that offer meals that include rice and salad for the same price as what I paid for just the pork.