“Delicious!”

ONO Hawaiian Foods
Ranked #7 of 2,340 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Soups, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Buffalo, Minnesota
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I ate here when I visited Hawaii ten years ago and it was very good. I took my husband to this restaurant when we came to Hawaii for our Hawaii. The food and service was just as I remembered. The people are very nice and the food is really good! Definitely would go again!

Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Mandan, North Dakota
“ONO, Oh yes.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We didn't go to Hawaii to get stuck eating at "The Cheesecake Factory". Although I am sure that is a good place too. We wanted to try some true Hawaiian food and being within walking distance of Waikiki meant that ONO was our choice. Only had to wait outside for seats for a couple of minutes, which we spent checking out the menu while we waited. So we were ready to order pretty quickly, but never felt rushed like some others mentioned. My husband and I shared a combo plate, plenty for two of us. The food may not look totally appealing, but it tasted pretty good... I think it might be kind of like saurkraut or lutefisk... you need to grow up with it or grow accustomed to it. My favorite was the dessert, the Haupia. Sooo good. Overall a great travel experience!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank AMC8380
San Jose, California
“Incredible Lau Lau”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Lau Lau was incredible and a very large portion. Small place with very casual decor. Waitress was very helpful in terms of explaining some of the unfamiliar items

Visited January 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
“Delicious Hawaiian food just outside Waikiki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

So you've been to a luau and tried Hawaiian food, right? Think again. One stop at Ono Hawaiian food and you will soon learn there is so much more to Hawaiian food than kalua pork and poi.

My wife and I call this Hawaiian comfort food, because you just like a family dinner, you get food enough to share, everything tastes better when its all mixed together, and you feel great when you are all done.

This family run restaurant is small, simple, and consistently has a line because it serves up delicious food without any pretense. Serving up Hawaiian staples like Laulau (pork & fish wrapped in taro leaf), Squid Luau (coconut milk mixed with taro leaves and grilled squid), Hot Chili Water (mild spicy sauce), and Chicken Long Rice (Chicken glass noodle soup) alongside familiar favorites like Kalua Pig, lomi lomi salmon, and poi.

Located just outside Waikiki, this place is a must stop for those looking to expereince a more authentic Hawaiian meal. There is a reason this place consistently ranks amongst the best on Oahu.

What's Green:
Using locally sourced materials, you can see the family hand wrap the laulaus after closing.
Small family owned restaurant.
Opportunity to engage traditional Hawaiian culture.

Insider Tip:
Closed Sunday, Last seating 8pm
Try the day old and fresh poi, and decide which one is your favorite
Use the onions and poi like chips and salsa. Salt the onions lightly, and then dip them in the poi.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank GreenTourism
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome Hawaiian Grub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

With a five hour layover before our connecting flight my wife and I decided to grab some authentic Hawaiian food and sit out on Waikiki Beach / Kuhio Park before heading back to the airport. Ono Hawaiian Foods was perfect! The service was fast, we got our order in less the ten minutes as our cab driver waited on the curb and the quality of the food was fantastic. The combination plate with kalua pig and laulau, pipikaula, lomi salmon, haupia, and poi was a feast on its own, but don't miss their butterfish or their excellent beef stew. The staff is wonderful! Highly recommended!

• Visited January 2013