“Terrible place ever!”

Camellia Buffet
Ranked #1,335 of 2,340 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Barbecue, Asian, Korean
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney
“Terrible place ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I traveled Oahu alone and wanted to have dinner at Camellia on 19 May 2013, because one of my korean friends told me their food was nice for try.
I made a call to ask if I needed to make a reservation for myself. The male staff who answered my call said it was okay to come without booking because it was only for one person. I walked to the restaurant from my hotel on beach walk. At the restaurant, the female staff told very unkindly she couldn't give me a table because they were busy and not able to make a table for only one person. I told her if the male staff did tell me the same, I wouldn't have come. She did not care. However, the male staff felt sorry for me and asked me to wait. Thus, I waited for about 40minutes. in the meantime, they kept passing other groups into the restaurant. I was upset. They finally told me to come back by 8pm. (I arrived there at 6:15pm)
I have never had any issue in any restaurant in Hawaii to find a table for me until then.
It was terrible service and as a korean myself this is not acceptable.
I did not visit them again at 8pm because their service and manners already had told me enough lessons.
Terrible restaurant ever. Highly unrecommended.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Limmie S

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Horrible place, staff, dining experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our Mother in law was visiting and she had seen a coupon for the place and really wanted to go. Their website said there was oysters and sushi, but after getting our food, we didn't see any. We asked the owner (or manager) and she said they had to quit serving it "a long time ago, because so many people got sick and called the health department." Should have been enough said, but it got so much worse. Not only did she tried to blame the customers for their sickness, accusing them of overeating, but her and the staff constantly stared at us and our food the entire time we were there. She would stand slightly behind us and look over the corner of her eye as though she was also listening in. My mom in law, from China, wanted to fry some of the noodles and was told we weren't allowed to put them on our grill!!! Wow! THE WORSE PART, we went to pay and presented our coupon. She told us that our 4 year old and 6 year old children could not have the 10% discount on the coupon as they ate too much food!!! It does not state anywhere on the coupon children can't have a discount. In fact, it was $13 or $14 for each child for the lunch and our children are typical kids, they hardly eat much, let alone $13-14 worth of this food. What a stupid made up rule when we went to pay, it was absurd listening to her continue to argue with us and refused to give us the discount (ONLY 10%) on the kids!!! BTW, the kids wanted ice cream but the ice cream machine sitting out had a sign on it saying it was only for dinner, not lunch. Getting the picture, big time cheap skates, watching how much you eat, chiseling you out of your discount, etc. The selection of meat is small, lots of color but NO FLAVOR!!! But the rude, cheap management took the cake.

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank Ron S
Honolulu, Hawaii
“rude waitress”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We felt like we not suppose to be there. The waitress keep looking on our food without even asking if we are okay or not. We went there with the whole family including kids. And when we pay, they charged my child as an adult, so i told them her age, her age is by the child rate. the waitress went to my child and asked her, as if she wanted to ask her ID, and she told them her age. She gave us a refund but when we went out, the waitress look at us, up and down and with a stink eye. There is not even, thank you from them for including that restaurant our options of dining.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Joy L
Kapaa, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were celebrating my son's 30th birthday, thought it would be fun to cook our own food, talk story and have a good time. Food was not worth the price we paid. But the main reason for NEVER RETURNING, or recommending is RUDE management. Owner/management were uptight, they walked around with a sour face, never gracious or welcoming, we seemed to be rushed to hurry and pay and get out, mind you we're not big eaters, and we were there no more than two hours. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY, way better places to go!!!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Renee O
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Cook your own Korean BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Good food selection and service. Parking is very limited so go early or off peak times. The smoke from the cooking built up as more people began cooking. It appears that the venting system needs to be upgraded.

1 Thank Jeff B