“Sushi dreams are made of!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sushi Sasabune

Sushi Sasabune
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Sasabune is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #154 of 2,340 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Keeaumoku St.
Transit: South King street and Keeaumoku street by bus.
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
“Sushi dreams are made of!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

The meal we had at Sushi Sasabune was one of the highlights of our 10 day honeymoon. We ate out a lot as my husband is a Chef so food was a major part of our experience. We researched restaurants as much as hotels! We made a reservation and had to wait a short 5 mins before being shown to our table. The service and the cuisine was all top notch. We felt like celebrities or royalty. They thought of everything. Even down to offering me a basket to hold my purse and bags conveniently under our table. As others have said, do yourself a favor and get the Chef's special. The 13 courses do not disappoint! It was a culinary journey that we still talk about. Returning to this restaurant will be top on our list next time we are on the islands. Well worth every penny we spent.

• Visited August 2012

Salt Lake City
“The best sushi EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I just had the best sushi and possibly the best meal we ever had. The service was EXCELLENT. Do trust them and opt for the 13 course Chef's specials of the day...so worth it. About $125 per person...so worth the price for the best sushi you will ever eat!

1 Thank bpowell235
Copenhagen, Denmark
“For the sushi afficionado”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Had high expectations and they were fullfilled. And more. Extremely tasty and delicious sushi. Your taste buds are gonna be blown away. Friendly service with good advice on how to season each piece or when to eat "as is". Off course you pay for this kind of sushi. But it is worth it if you are a sushi lover. But why so much air con? We were both freezing when we left, we were underneath the ventilation.

Milan, Italy
“Horrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Sasabune is getting a poor review from me on my third visit because of the very bad service and customer relations they displayed. I've eaten here twice before, and recommended them to friends based on the food, but unfortunately their reputation for poor service caught up with them last week. Had an 8PM reservation for the sushi bar, arrived at 7:57 and was told to wait. At 8:15 a table of 4 at the bar that arrived after us were seated first, no communication from staff about our spots. At 8:30 (still no communication) 2 spots opened up at the sushi bar and we were told to wait 5 minutes for them to clear the space. When the space was clear a lone person strolled in and sat down without checking in at the front and they refused to move him to seat us! We were told to wait another 30 minutes at which point we walked out. There are better sushi places in Honolulu where you don't need to put up with this behaviour.

2 Thank OhBabyItsBen
Grove City, Ohio
“Outstanding, and interesting too....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I am a big sushi lover. I travel most of the time for work, and try different sushi restaraunts wherever I go. Sushi Sasabune was recomended to us by my clients secretary, as a unique experience. When asking me if I wanted to try it, she said, "well, have you ever seen the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode...?"

It wasnt quite like that, but it had a bit of the same tone. BUT, do not let that scare you.

The sushi is served generally two pieces per plate. My meal was 13 courses, but you stop when you want. Each piece is prepared differently and the server will instruct you on how to enjoy each piece. Many of them come with a prepared sauce or the like, so do not ruin them with a dunk in soy and wasabi.... I have never been to Japan, but have been told this is very similar to how sushi is meant to be enjoyed, as the chef instructs.

I did see the chef/owner watch us for the first several plates for what I must assume was to make sure we were "doing it right".

When you have 13 plates, the cost is high. But not if you think about how much each piece is actually costing.... There were 3 of us, each had 2 drinks and 13 plates - so that is 39 pieces. the total bill was a bit under $400. Not cheap for sure, but not too much for the types of sushi and quality we were getting. Dont forget our bar bill was also around $50-$60.

This was fun, the atmosphere was great, and the food outstanding. It is worth the trip. Dont expect California or spicy tuna rolls.... There was nothing out of the ordinary,and it was all very authentic. My recomendation is dont try to irritate the chef though :). HAVE FUN!!! It is outstanding!!!