“Outstanding”
Review of Sushi Sasabune

Sushi Sasabune
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Sasabune is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 2,453 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Keeaumoku St.
Transit: South King street and Keeaumoku street by bus.
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is by far the best sushi I have ever eaten and I have had sushi all over the world including Japan. The owner flys fresh sushi in daily and it melts in your mouth! My only complaint would be I'm told to eat the sushi whole and not bite it. I have a very small mouth and can't fit the entire piece of fish in my mouth. In Japan they will cut it in half for you. The chef is the best at what he does with the food but doesn't have any customer service skills.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I understand most people don't like to drop 150 a person at dinner but outside of that I can not fathom why on earth you would give this place anything less than 5 stars. Beautiful presentation, tasty dishes, an experience of a life time! They tell you what to do and if you act respectful they will be friendly. Don't expect the chef to acknowledge you, but the sous chefs are great. My husband and I were clearly tourists but were treated very well and with gratitude. Being from Wisconsin Nigiri will NEVER taste the same. Melt in your mouth is accurate. As everyone said the toro was amazing, halibut and snapper had great flavors. The rice on the nigiri is awesome. If we ever come back I will for sure try the eastern menu which looked a bit more "unusual". I also appreciated the bottled wine was very affordable. I want to say, I consider myself a person who can eat A LOT, I skipped lunch that day and I was still unbelievably full and the husband was very well satisfied.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We made reservations ahead of our vacation to Honolulu and included this restaurant in our detailed itinerary. We arrived on time by cab only to find out the restaurant had "changed" their policy because apparently they had problems with people missing reservations. They asserted they had called our phone to confirm our reservation and when we didn't pick up, then cancelled our reservation. The server was incredibly rude to both us and a Japanese family ahead of us who had also arrived on time and found their reservation also cancelled. We were never told such a policy existed when we first booked, nor did our phone even ring on account of the restaurant calling our HOME phone in CANADA, though we prefer not to use our cellphones out of the country anyway. Their policy is incredibly hostile towards tourists and I have never been treated this way in any restaurant in any part of the world. Don't waste your time with this restaurant if you're from out of town.

9  Thank JNowik
Reviewed December 29, 2012

On the basis that I believe you should treat people with respect, understanding, and kindness, I am encouraging people who are considering dining at Sushi Sasabune to NOT GO.
We had a reservation made through Open Table with confirmation number and details, which they decided to cancel as they could not reach us to confirm. Living abroad and being on holiday, we did not receive the calls. As we explained, standing there on time, the staff was rude, arrogant, and dismissive, particularly the lead at the front desk, Kevin.
There is no integrity or respect for customers at this restaurant and I can honestly say, having lived and dined around the world for many years, this was one of the most abrupt and arrogant experiences I have ever encountered.

DON'T EAT HERE...MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!

11  Thank LuxeTravelLover68
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Thanks to a couple I met on a beach. This place is off the charts. I could eat sushi all day. I have had good sushi but this will change you for ever.

1  Thank JackM342