“Heaven in my mouth.”
Review of Sushi Sasabune

Sushi Sasabune
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Sasabune is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 2,540 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Keeaumoku St.
Transit: South King street and Keeaumoku street by bus.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Sushi Sasabune met our very high expectations, especially the Toro. You HAVE to eat the toro, hands down. The negi toro is also very good and is also the chef's signature but my personal favorite is the toro sushi - melts in your mouth goodness! Reservations are highly recommended.

2  Thank gtsjyq

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had reservations for dinner and were seated in a timely manner, then our napkins were placed in our laps and a container was brought for my purse. The staff waits on you hand and foot. We ordered sake and it was brought to us in glasses that overflowed into a box, very much resembling a waterfall. We were advised to order the chef's choice 13 course meal. Each course that was brought was accompanied by a very descriptive introduction (and instructions! lol), and NOTHING disappointed. I definitely ate things I've never eaten before, but that was part of the fun! My boyfriend and I count it as one of the best dining experiences we've had, and the best sushi we've ever had (and we eat A LOT of sushi!). Worth the price, for sure.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

An amazing dining experience best enjoyed with friends to taste as many appertisers and entree's as possible

Reviewed September 25, 2012

What a great experience with this restaurant we tried two weekends ago. We made a reservation through Open Table which is the way to go if you are from out-of-town. We had to modify our reservations a couple of times because of travel changes and were still accommodated each time. We were posted by email with reminders/confirmations and the restaurant even called the day before to ensure they were prepared for us...wow!

I chose the omakase while my wife decided on the ala carte menu. While we are aware that the sushi chef decides our dishes for the omakase, we wish we could have known that it would have some of the same items on the ala carte menu. My wife ordered items that I later got as part of my dinner. I did make it all the way through the 13 dishes but could have shared more with my wife who could have ordered less. The entire omakase meal is a challenge for anyone other than the heartiest eater, as fantastic as it was. Despite all this, I still give this place a 5-star rating.

Now, for the amazing sushi...our favorites (these we didn't mind ordering more on the ala carte menu) were the snow crab, the toro (bluefin), negitoro (fatty tuna belly), and the baked shellfish platter (oyster, scallop, clam)...lip-smacking good and melt-in-your-mouth delicious!! And that was just a third of the overall omakase menu - the other dishes were scrumptious too, but those were superb!

As mentioned by most reviewers, the wait staff is most accommodating, personable, and professional. Each dish is well-explained as to how it is to be consumed, with or without soy sauce or wasabi. I wrote them all down as much as I could, and the waiter noticed. He offered me a paper menu after with all of the dishes that were on the omakase as well as what we ordered ala carte...that's what I call going the extra mile!

Last but not least, as a testament to how desirable this place is for visitors, we overheard a customer who sat at the bar say to someone else that it was the second time in two days he dined there...it was so good he had to come back before heading back home to California...

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We came here 4 years ago on our honeymoon to Hawaii. I've just started on tripadvisor so am writing this review now.

It looks like nothing has changed since then when reading the reviews. This place serves the best sashimi we have ever had in the world!

Every time we have sashimi we always compare it to here, and no where has come close!

It was so fresh and so tasty that I don't think we will find something as good as this here in Australia so will have to organise another trip to Hawaii!!!

The staff were friendly and was worth the price if you are visiting Hawaii.

It is out of the way and a taxi ride away, but don't let this deter you from the best sashimi you will taste in a long time, or maybe like us, the best ever.

Been to Sushi Sasabune? Share your experiences!