“Exquisite Diner / This is a must”
Review of Le Guignol Restaurant - CLOSED

Le Guignol Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Dear Chef Ala & Elisa
Thank you kindly for a wonderful dining experience, your hospitality and of course an EXQUISITE DINER
I just can't get the Foie Gras, Rack of Lamb out of my mind both time.
I wish you all and baby Alexis health, wealth and prosperity.
Hope to see you again very soon
Best regards
Lewis & Mimi Lam
From Sunnyvale, Ca

Reviewed December 6, 2010

For months, a friend of mine was raving about a French restaurant that he has been going to for years and insisted that my wife and I try out Le Guignol. Now, the sound of French food did not excite me as I had my own map about this kind of cuisine - heavy, rich, etc. But to get him off of my back, I gave in and boy was I glad I did.

Chef Ala runs the kitchen by himself and usually has one or two table support staff so if its busy, dont expect to eat and run. However, I always go there with the expectation that I'll spend 1-2 hours there to enjoy the food, enjoy my wine (yes its BYOW) and enjoy the company of my wife (yes thats "BYOW" too).

You have two options when dining - order from the menu or request a 5,7 or 10 course prix fixe menu. If you choose the prix fixe, please make sure you give Chef at least one day to prepare a menu of his liking. Portions on either menu are generous but if you have a hearty appetite like me, get the seven course or consider sharing an additional dish with your dining mate.

From appetizers to dessert, Chef Ala creates a dining experience that is simply wonderful. For first timers, I recommend ordering from the menu unless you truly enjoy the anticipation of a Chefs Prix Fixe. Menu selections of my choice are Fois Gras with Cherries Jubilee to start, Broasted Rabbit or Seared Cod on a bed of Anchovy Flavored Lentil for a main dish and finish with a Creme Brulee or Fruit Sorbet (mango, lemon or pineapple to name a few). And if you make it there with friends(four or more), add a full rack of Lamb to share and be sure to ask for a Chocolate Souffle. Its to die for!

You can expect to pay about $40-50 per person and a little more if you choose the Prix Fixe. The restaurant is easy to find but dont forget to stop for a bottle of your favorite white or red. I enjoy drier whites or a light red to complete my Le Guignol experience. The dining atmosphere is casual so dress comfortably but most importantly, come with an appetite and be prepared to be "wow'd".

Reviewed July 11, 2010

We went to this place twice in a recent trip to Hawaii; bioth times with large groups. One of 6 people and one of 10 people (different groups). We ALL thought that this was a great place. It is away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, and that is its charm.

Very laid back; we sat outside looking across a local park.

The highlight was the food! Superb!! It is quite unique as a restaurant (in the US at least) in that it is BYOB; the main challenge is finding a decent Wine Shop!! Great Place

Reviewed May 29, 2009

Wow, with a group of five people, and everyone was delighted! If you like steak, you will LOVE the filet - better than the premier steakhouses in town. The fish was cooked perfectly, the sauces were exquisite. Must admit though one of my favorite points is that it is BYOB. Wish more restaurants did this, focused on their food and allowed us to bring excellent wines without paying them a markup. Go - you will not be disappointed. Now open for lunch!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook