“Not good when staff forgets to seat you ... and the joint is empty”

The Old Spaghetti Factory
Ranked #498 of 2,420 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ala Moana - Kakaako
Reviewed December 22, 2012

OSF opened at 11:30am. Got there about 11:45am. The train seating area was taken. About a half-dozen patrons were visibly seated at tables in the main dining room area. A couple parties waiting on the side to be seated. A couple parties waiting to check in. Then there was my party of four. I checked in; was told it was a 10 to 15-minute wait. Huh? The large restaurant was empty. Four or five more parties checked in and got seated. So there we were, waiting the 10-15 minutes to be seated, in the lobby, by ourselves, while staff milled about. Finally, a gal asked if we'd been helped. Well, no -- we were watching everyone who checked in after us be taken care of. Absolutely ridiculous, and I was not quiet about my disgust. Should I have asked about our seating? Perhaps yes, but how hard is a list of 10 or so to manage? There was no longer anyone after us waiting. The gal who sat us apologized, as did the manager and our server Summer. I was beyond upset, especially since this restaurant that was celebrated for 30 years of being in business couldn't handle a less-than-half-full capacity. My kids were hungry. We arrived at the center early and waited for OSF to open because they WANTED to eat there. Eventually, we got a free appetizer and our tab was comped (I refused to order anything for myself and wanted to pay the tab but was denied). They cited the new staff as thinking we were accommodated. We also almost got to eat the adjacent table's meal when the waithelp didn't know who he was delivering to. Summer was great and I did apologize because she had to deal with the situation. But the whole situation (as well as the less-than-tasty entrees and spongy-textured chicken) has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Actually hadn't been to OSF in a while. Not going back. Not recommended, but good luck if you go.

There are newer reviews for The Old Spaghetti Factory

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my first time ever going to an Old Spaghetti Factory. We stopped in on vacation. I loved the decor. They had it all decked out for Halloween. I can say I've never been to a restaurant quite like it. We ate upstairs in the bar area since there was no wait. I got garlic shrimp fettuccine. You get salad or soup, drink, and ice cream with your meal. Our server was super peppy and kind even though she had all the tables upstairs. The bread was fresh and yummy, salad was pretty good, and meal was warm but not hot. The fettuccine sauce was a little too thick. The Spumoni was awesome. I would go there again, cute place.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

the new, garlic mizithra had good ingredients- mmmm, bacon, but it was too dry. just like eating noodles with saw dust. ended up taking over 3/4 home. unfortunately the server didn't ask if the dish was substandard.

the all you can eat soup and clam chowder on fridays is a deal!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I'm a big fan of this place and I couldn't believe that the prices were the exact same in Hawaii as they were in the states - very abnormal, but that means a great value for you! My wife and would order a pasta dish, hearty size the order (which nearly doubles the serving size for $3) and split the meal. We would both be comfortably full for $20 - that is nearly impossible to do in Honolulu. My wife and I visited this multiple times for dinner - in my opinion, the best dinner value in Waikiki.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have eaten at this chain since I was 16(am now 54) in cities around Canada and the US. I have never been disappointed. They stick to a tried and true formula and the food always tastes the same,no matter which city you are in.
My favorite is the Manager's favorite with Mizrtha cheese and rich meat sauce. Great value with salad,loaf of bread,main course and spumoni ice cream for one great price. love this place!! Honolulu's is in a beautiful building in Ward Warehouse!

Been to The Old Spaghetti Factory? Share your experiences!