“Love the fries here!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Shack Hawaii Kai
Ranked #538 of 2,326 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Serving Epic Burgers since 1972! The Shack Hawaii Kai is a great place to catch all your favorite sports action, or just relax out on our lanai!
Tampa, FL
“Love the fries here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Most are here for the drink specials and the sports on all the tv's, but I love the fries and the plantation tea! The whole family appreciates the quick service and good food. Laid back Hawaii at its best.

Visited June 2012

Honolulu
“Great Caesar salad dressing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Had lunch here with some friends. The food is pretty good for a burger joint/bar. We shared a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich and a Caesar Salad. Portions are large...especially the salad. The salad was around $15, but I don't think I could have finished it even if I ate it as my only meal. The dressing is great, not the cheapy stuff. The greens are always fresh.

The sandwich was approximately $10 and it came with fries...a lot of fries. The meat is pretty soft and they used the saucey cheese. Very good version of the Philly Cheesesteak. It is a bar like atmosphere but it sits on the marina, so grab a table near the water and it's not so bar like.

Would definitely eat here again. They offer American food as well as local plate lunch style food. Something for everyone.

• Visited May 2012
Sydney
“Fun place. Great Burger.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

We're a family with 2 teenage daughters who went to The Shack in Hawaii Kai on the recommendation of.......our pensioner parents! They're frequent visitors who love the place and have never had a bad meal there.
Sure, it's primarily a sports bar and the food is of the comfort food variety but it's a fun, friendly and relaxed place, the waitresses are consistently super friendly and helpful; the food very tasty; and the prices very reasonable. The fact that the Hawaii Kai location means few if any tourists may also be a bonus to some people.

Their hamburger with Portugese sausage was probably the best burger I've ever tasted. The curly fries are very good. The fish and chips looked pretty greasy to me but the girls loved them...though the tartare sauce, which is prepared daily, can be great or disappointing depending on the day you visit.

We had dinner there a few times following grocery shopping at the local Safeways and/or Costco and at the local Ross store and I'd highly recommend The Shack if you're in the area.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank CheeseburgerParadise
Sugar Land, Texas
“Nice View...otherwise, it was just So-So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

You walk in, and it's a dark sports-bar atmosphere. Walk out the back, and there is a nice patio with tables, but no umbrellas, and a nice view on the water. It's lunchtime on a sunny day in July, so it's HOT and the sun is glaring. We see some tables with umbrellas to the side, and proceed over there, only to be told by a not-so-polite waitress that it was a completely different restaurant (Mexican). No signs or anything. Some ladies at a table nearby said they made the same mistake, but stayed at the Mexican place for the margarita special. Maybe we should have too...
Anyway we decided to sit inside, at a table in a slightly raised portion of the restaurant that still had a little bit of a view. The place is clearly more of a sportsbar type atmosphere. It took FOREVER to get a waitress over to us, then to get our drinks, then to get our food order. The waitress was plain rude and acted like she cared less if we were there or not. Kids meal was chicken tenders with no side... we ordered fries once the meal came and it took another 20 mins to get the fries. I had the fish tacos, and they were tasty... nothing super-special, but good anyway.
At one point, I had to use the restroom, so I wandered around looking for it. A couple waitresses talking saw me and said nothing. Finally, I asked one of them and she just pointed upwards and said "up there". Huh?? So I wandered around again until I found some dark steps leading up to a tiny bathroom.
I realize it's a bar and not the Taj Majal, so really my main complaint was that the waitresses were just plain rude. When we left, the (male) bartender called out "Thanks for coming, have a great day", so we wondered if 1) we should have eaten at the bar for better service 2) it was because our group was all female.
Anyway... it was fine. Just nothing special...

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Antonio, Texas
“Understand where you're going before you judge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

All of The Shack's on O'ahu are bars that tailor their atmosphere to the younger crowd and have a good, fun, and musical atmosphere.