“Exceptional Fine Dinning ”

Alan Wong's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Alan Wong's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 2,652 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Punahou Street and McCully Street
Description: Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."
Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

Friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We chose the 5 course dinning testing menu and I was impressed! Each menu item was delicious and the portions were big specially for a tasting menu. I really enjoyed the lobster lasagna :)
I recommend it and also recommend making a reservation.

Date of visit: July 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

Great place for a special celebration! Had an amazing experience celebrating my birthday at this restaurant. The food is fantastic and staff is very attentive. I highly recommend the tasting menu with the wine pairing. See photos below. Five stars all around.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed July 4, 2017 via mobile

Wonderful anniversary dinner! Don't miss the short rib. Service was incredibly attentive. Beautiful presentation at each course.

Reviewed July 4, 2017 via mobile

Alan Wong's bills itself as one of the best restaurants on Oahu, but I suspect is now trading on former glory- our experience there was poor.

Things got off to a rocky start when we were seated 25 minutes late. Even though it was Monday night, they had clearly overbooked; the room and hostess area were packed and the hostesses were unable to keep up with the pace.

Our server was very friendly but obviously had too many tables, as there were long waits for things. For example, we ordered a tasting of local butters, which was supposed to come with some bread. It didn't, and it took more than 10 minutes for someone to come by and deliver it.

We ordered 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and shared a dessert. Three of the five (Bone marrow, short ribs and the chocolate crunch bars) were excellent. Great presentation and nice balanced flavors for each. The other two were a huge disappointment. The Ahi appetizer was 3x too large, and the tuna was overwhelmed by what was essentially a bed of guacamole. My lobster entree was worst of all- not properly cooked and served on a bed of greens so stringy that I needed a steak knife to cut them.

All in all, well short of any definition of fine dining.

2  Thank Judd C
Reviewed July 3, 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is small and quaint which is really nice for couples. It's decorated nicely and a bit casual perfect for island dining. It has an old Hawaiian charm. Friendly welcoming staff with overall good attentive service.

We dined at 9 pm which was a little late for us after a full busy day at the beach so we look forward to going back again so we can enjoy it without feeling like we were going to fall asleep before our entrees arrived.

I didn't get all the photos of what we ate but everything was delicious. We started with the oyster shooters which were perfectly spicy and also gluten free. They have several decent options for those who are gluten free and our server informed us the chef could substitute any item on the tasting menu to accommodate gluten free preferences. I think next time I'll have to try this route.

My husband had the beet salad which he said was the best he has ever had anywhere which I think is a lot to say about a salad but he really enjoyed it. I had the mixed salad with goat cheese which was delicate and nice flavors in a light dressing that made it a perfect greens option. We then had the DA BAG appetizer which is a signature item and did not disappoint. It is Hawaiian pork with clams in a beautiful light sauce with perfect balanced flavors. It is a must try when dining!!!

I had the lobster dish which had a lot of diverse flavors and I had the mash potatoes as a side. The mash potatoes are to die for and are a necessary item to try, again I think this is one of the items they are famous for. They were just perfect. It was like a dessert they were so rich in all the right ways!

My husband had the short rib which I tried and it was very tender and perfectly done. The shrimp they serve with it and the sauce were also excellent. Again perfect pairings and flavors. We didn't try dessert because we were just too tired but that is another thing they are famous for.

Great dining experience, casual island dining experience with exceptional food and flavors for a sophisticated palette.