“Bday”

Alan Wong's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Alan Wong's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 2,405 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Punahou Street and McCully Street
Description: Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."
“Bday”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Bday dinner. Good service and amazing refreshing food But We celebrated a birthday and they even wrote our names on the menu and all the chefs signed the menu for us!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
rainb0wtraveler
“Great food, noisy ambiance”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We lucked out with a reservation for 6:30 pm the day before I wanted to go - check opentable often - it sometimes opens up! Parking tip: You can park for free on the street after 6 pm, else the valet is a $5 fee not including gratuity.

Domestic beers are $6 and you can order from their extensive list that they give you on an iPad when you arrive. Wines run about $15/glass - a bit pricey.

For food, we had the salad 'Bigoli' which was a bit strange as their version of a Caesar salad - it was average and not my favorite. A sunny side egg? hmmm....to run all over the salad and the kalua pig... Then we had the chopped ahi sashimi and avocado salsa stack - oh my, this was delish! Perhaps I enjoyed it too much because I didn't feel like eating my ginger crusted onaga by then - the sauce was a bit strong and I stopped once I got a fish bone in my mouth.

The pineapple shave ice was very light and refreshing and a nice way to complete your meal.

The downside is how close all of the tables are - you can hear all of the conversations from the 3 tables surrounding you. It's hard to tune some folks out when they're seated so close to you!

Visited July 2014
Italy
“Don't judge a restaurant from it's building . . .”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Alan Wong's Honolulu location is not in a scenic location, not a sleek preppy location, or even a popular tourist neighborhood. However, once you get past all of that, you realize that the chef is all about the food. Our waitstaff were all very passionate about food and the preparation. We went with a prix-fixe 6-course menu with a wine pairing. First off, the wine pairings were EXCELLENT. There were unexpected choices, but somehow they were perfect. The food was not only artfully presented, but tasted fantastic. We had a wonderful evening and the fact that the food was fresh and perfectly prepared, sealed the deal. We would definitely return, and we might even bring our "foodies in training" (who enjoyed the evening as well).

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mis_Adventurous
Las Vegas, Nevada
“One Year Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

A few friends of mine (still living on the islands) told me to maybe try some place new because Alan Wong's is just a fad and not THAT great. As much as I love taking advice for restaurants, I decided to stick with my decision. And plus, we've never been, so why not?

Service - it was good, but our waiter seemed a little aloof. I'll chuck it to an off evening. Maybe he wasn't feeling well, or maybe he just had other things on his mind. But, I have a feeling he's not normally that way all the time.

Food - delicious. We tried to the butter sampler. Ugh. For the love of FAT. The butters were so yummy. Food runner did a great job explaining the differences also. Foie Gras. OMG. Thank you Hawai'i for not deeming it illegal like California does. One of the best seared foie gras' I've ever had. Red Snapper. I am not one to order fish. I did not regret this decision at all.

Overall, I was happy. Husband was happy. Stomachs were happy.

Oh, and they even rolled up a custom menu for us. Cute touch.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank enk_wanderlust
Aiea, Hawaii
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at Alan Wong's and we had a wonderful time. When we made our reservation, they asked if we were celebrating a special occasion, which we were and received a complimentary dessert after dinner. My husband and I began with the chopped Ahi stacked on crispy won ton, then the tomato salad. We shared the opakapaka and short ribs kalbi as our entrees. I especially enjoyed the short ribs, which were very tender and tasty. We ordered the lilikoi brûlée to try for dessert and we received our complimentary cheesecake dessert as well. Our food selections were very delicious and service was outstanding with the waiter checking on us often. I would definitely eat here again and try the other menu items, but only for special occasions. Expect to spend a lot of money on this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014