“Excellent Dining Experience”

Alan Wong's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Alan Wong's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 2,543 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Punahou Street and McCully Street
Description: Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Excellent Food, Presentation and Service.
Tasting menu is superb.
Every item is prepared to perfection and presented like artwork.
Food consists of wonderful textures and flavors.
Desserts are creative delicious and memorable.
Wait staff is very helpful.
Highly recommended for an exceptional dining experience.

1  Thank traveler1468
Write a ReviewReviews (1,531)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I read loads of reviews for this place and not one bad one so I was very excited to try the food here. We arrived a little early and were shown to the bar with an iPad to peruse the menu. We were going to have the taster menu which wasn't on the iPad so had to ask for a hard copy menu. All grand so far. Sitting at the bar was dull by any stretch of the imagination- the decor is so in need of a make over in this spot. We are sitting looking at the wall and can't help but check it all out ... And it's dismal. The lady who was serving our drinks was unsmiling, perfunctory and pretty dismal as well. Ah well we can't all have a good day..along comes the friendly waitress to show us to our table..... Oops we had to go back for our drinks( now remember this is a fancy expensive restaurant -these are the details, the little touches, the finesse that sets the tone), pull out our chairs ourselves and cosy up to the chefs table where we get a lovely smile from one of the chefs. So our first course comes which looked great but my heart was sinking- it looked as heavy as lead. Fried crispy wontons encasing ( was it tuna?) well cooked but fairly blah combo with very blah garnish and a soup that tasted like Campbell's ; sugary, gluppy and of nothing special, topped with a toasted crispy sandwich of cheese , foie gras and bread. Now I did read the menu but I thought there would some light relief from the cheese and foie gras in the tomato soup ... But no - the soup was as heavy and rich and creamy as you can possibly imagine.... Now I was worried because I was already full on so little. The next course was delicious lobster - so very delicious but again the garnish was oily and sweet with no citrus or acid balance... At this point I was dying in my seat.. I have to say that my husband who likes heavy rich fatty food was enjoying his meal . The rest of the meal was a blur; fish that was laden with sugar, fried pork that swam in a piquant sauce again laden with sugar and finally a little relief in the dessert that had fresh fruit and a wonderfully fluffy but too sweet coconut sorbet. Perhaps I just don't like this rich unrelentingly heavy sweet food but I was completely flattened by it and very very underwhelmed by the tastes and combinations. The waiters are helpful, informative, robotic and distinctly un personable ..........

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent cooking, and high-quality food. Excellent whole tomato salad Twice-cooked Kali ribs tender, but slightly sweet without accompanying sauce. Substituted green onion sauce for mahi mahi, instead of its wasabi sauce, was a great decision. Waiter provided wasabi sauce, anyway, for comparison sake. Lilikoi brulee dessert completed and complemented a balanced fine meal.

The presentation of all dishes was consistently attractive. The only distraction to me was the seemingly frequent and artificial fawning by the wait staff, which reminded me of the kind of overdone greetings one gets from most Wells Fargo Banks. A little kissy, if you know what I mean.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This is second time I visit this restaurant. Because my dad is vegetarian, so I did email them earlier to check if there are any vegetarian meal. But I was so surprised that they told me the chief even happy to creat 5 course vegetarian banquet for us. What wonderful customers care? Definitely 5 star!!! Their vegetarian banquet so yummy, my dad love it so much!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

simply fantastic... we ate there on vacation for our 2nd year wedding anniversary and ordered the tasting menu. so romantic and delicious. the hostess made sure the restaurant added a few surprises for our anniversary. fine dining indeed. highly recommend it ...encourage you to make reservations in advance or may not get seated ...and no swimwear ...true upscale restaurant. perfect and fun to try all of the establishment's signature dishes at a reasonable price.