“Best dinner in Honolulu”

Alan Wong's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Alan Wong's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 2,494 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Punahou Street and McCully Street
Description: Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Hands down the best food in Honolulu. Inventive menu, flawless preparation, freshest ingredients. Worth a splurge. Don't be put off by the lack of view at this restaurant on the second floor of an unassuming office building.

4  Thank kmcelvany
Write a ReviewReviews (1,500)

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Came here for our 5th Wedding Anniversary dinner. One of my friends from work who used to live on Oahu highly recommended Alan Wong's.

I tried to make a reservation 2 weeks ahead through Open Table but the only available time they had was 9:00PM for the day I wanted. Then it said the next available day was the first week of June???? What??? I got worried all of a sudden. So I tried calling them directly and got their VM twice so I just wrote them an email. I got a reply email within 24 hours and they said that they did have an opening at 6:00PM for our anniversary - WHEW! Other than that, everything went very well.

Valet Parking is $3.00

DRINKS: We went the nonalcoholic path. I ordered a Passion-Fruit Mojito (A "re-invention" of the Cuban Mojito. Lilikoi, Tarragon, Mint, Watermelon and Cachaca) and my husband had their Blueberry Soda. BOTH WERE DELICIOUS!!

FOOD: 5 Course Menu Sampling (Menu changes periodically) = $85/person
Don't expect to be in and out within an hour. We were here from 6:00PM - 8:00PM for our entire dining experience.

COURSE #1
Ahi Tartare - Tomato Ceviche Sauce
"Soup and Sandwich" - Chilled Vine Ripened Hamakua Springs Tomato Soup with Grilled Mozzarella Cheese, Kalua Pig Sandwich

COURSE #2
Seafood "Lasagne" with Cioppino Sauce

COURSE #3
Ginger Crusted Onaga, Long-Tail Red Snapper with Miso Sesame Vinaigrette, Organic Hamakua Mushrooms and Kahuku Corn

COURSE #4
Twice Cooked Short Rib, Soy Braised and Grilled "Kalbi" Style with Gingered Shrimp, Ko Choo Jang Sauce

COURSE #5
"Mini Coconut" - Haupia Sorbet in a Chocolate Shell, Tropical Fruits and Lilikoi Sauce

Every year for our anniversary, my husband orders a nice steak. We came here for a change and he was worried he wouldn't get his usual steak, but COURSE #4 really won him over! The twice cooked short rib was so tender and flavorful!

I enjoyed the entire experience. Every time they brought out a dish, they would explain it in detail to us on how they prepared it and then even told us the best approach on how to eat it. "Start from your left and work your way to the right".

YUM! Must try!

2  Thank Charlene C
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The food was superlative and every course was delicious except for one that was far too salty. .We were seated at the bar which was very disappointing. Our seats were adjacent to a food service area which was very disruptive. We got no attention from our waiter - and although we were told that the chefs would talk to us they were too busy . On top of this the service was extremely rushed. We were barely finished one course and the next was in front of us. We had to ask them to slow down. This should not happen in a fine restaurant. One would expect that the service would match the food quality. In fact it detracted from the experience.

1  Thank bcwqueenst
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We arrived at Alan wong's and were confused as the building is a commercial one located several streets back from the beach. There are no views. Once entering the restaurant on the third floor you feel at ease, As the fit out is all modern and clean. Service was excellent and the food was great. They made a real fuss over us as we were celebrating our honeymoon. It is slightly expensive but was worth it for a French and Hawaiian spin on Japanese cuisine.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant on recommendation of some locals, who called it the best restaurant in town. It was very good. It was a bit smaller than I expected, but that was not a bad thing other than being somewhat close to the next table. They offer the iPad drink and appetizer menu, which is pretty neat. The food was excellent as was the service. An A-list actor was there eating as well. Highly recommended.

3  Thank VTEsq