“Exactly what I expected.....and more”

La Mer - L'Aperitif
Ranked #73 of 2,492 Restaurants in Honolulu
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lewers Street
Description: Award-winning restaurant featuring exquisite Neoclassic French cuisine, oceanfront views. Hawaii’s longest-running AAA Five Diamond restaurant, since 1990, and the only restaurant in Hawaii to be awarded a Five-Star designation by Forbes Travel Guide. Recognized as the finest restaurant in Honolulu, La Mer captures the elegance and romance of Halekulani. Its internationally acclaimed menu features local, tropical ingredients in dishes inspired by flavors from France. Elegant evening attire for women. Dinner jackets or dress shirts, dress slacks and shoes for gentlemen. Reservations recommended. Open daily from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. As an elegant fine dining restaurant, La Mer restricts patrons to adults and children 8 years or older.
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I dined here 10 years ago and the experience we remembered all these years. We went back this past January and were blown away by every aspect of our dining experience .

From the hostess, who without batting an eye, dealt with a very picky person when it comes to tables (that would be me), to the mixologist who crafted spectacular cocktails, to our professional server who knew how to space our meal expertly, to the incredible food itself. All were spot on.

Definitely not cheap, but worth every dollar for the experience. And please, order the soufflé. Trust me when I say it's one of the top 3 desserts I have ever had in my life !

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This restaurant, nestled in the luxurious Halekulani hotel in Waikiki, sends the palates on a journey across the world to the city of love (Paris) and brings you back to Hawaii all in one ocean front sitting, with a white glove polynesian atmosphere. The chefs are selected from among the finest hotels in Paris and their talents bring you the perfect marriage between the avent gard and haute couture cooking techniques. Sometimes I believe it is best not to critic, because doing so will only present you with my personal observation and taste. However, I do like to share my notes with you: one dish had two strong conflicting flavors (but thats only one dish), and the other thing I missed there was the offer of stinky cheeses after the main course, not that I like these cheeses but it too takes me back to France. The abundance of fois gras are ideal for those that love it but live in California. I would recommend this place for special occasions and I would definitely go back when I return to Honolulu. Oh, the champagnes there are great and keeps you cool on warmer nights.

1  Thank Saifhaddad
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

One of the best meals I have ever had. Service was outstanding, and each course was a delight- mushroom gnocci, carpaccio, filet, pork cheeks- each bite left you wanting more. The bartender made fantastic drinks as well. Very memorable meal that will not be forgotten.

1  Thank Sheryl B
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Recently visited La Mer in Honolulu... First of all, the location is the best! Inside of the Halekulani Hotel located in Waikiki, which was my favorite area in Honolulu. We arrived a little earlier to the restaurant to have a couple of drinks by the bar.Oh my... those drinks were really good, and they give you an amuse bouche with each cocktail that goes perfectly well with it. Then, we had the most amazing four course dinner as well as my husband's (and probably mine too) favorite red wine. The food was superb, both presentation and taste, and the service was second to none! We were listening to a local group that was playing hawaiian music by the pool which you can see from the restaurant (so, obviously, we had a great view having the ocean on one side and the live music and pool from the other side), so the atmosphere was perfect. You know it is going to cost money because the place is not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for as the whole experience is one of those that you will always remember. If you can afford it, go for it! You won't be disappointed at all!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Everything you expect from a high end restaurant and more - great food, attentive waiters, fantastic views of the beach with lighted water and palm trees, cool bar with a super friendly bartender where every drink comes with its own customized appetizer... it's #1 for a reason.