“Fantastic”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lewers Street
Description: Award-winning restaurant featuring exquisite Neoclassic French cuisine, oceanfront views. Hawaii’s longest-running AAA Five Diamond restaurant, since 1990, and the only restaurant in Hawaii to be awarded a Five-Star designation by Forbes Travel Guide. Recognized as the finest restaurant in Honolulu, La Mer captures the elegance and romance of Halekulani. Its internationally acclaimed menu features local, tropical ingredients in dishes inspired by flavors from France. Elegant evening attire for women. Dinner jackets or dress shirts, dress slacks and shoes for gentlemen. Reservations recommended. Open daily from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. As an elegant fine dining restaurant, La Mer restricts patrons to adults and children 8 years or older.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My friend and I ate at La Mer as our last night of one week staying at the superb Halekulani.
La Mer, along with L'aperitif, we're sublime. Service and food top notch and yes it is top end price but all relative to the quality and experience which is undoubtedly unrivalled in Waikiki.

My friend and I are well travelled and this beats anything previous.

You can't go to Waikiki and miss this opportunity. You seriously won't be disappointed!

Thanks to all the staff - superb !!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Even if you do not dine at La Mer, you have to visit L'Aperitiff for a cocktail. It is a concept bar that transports you back to a romantic Hemingway era of cocktails. The mixologists make the perfect "whatever you're having". I would call them liquid chefs. The atmosphere is serene and beautiful. Located at La Mer in the Halekulani.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I had dinner here and it was great. We ordered the tasting menu. Other than the prosciutto & cheese dish, the food was delicious.

Highlights:
- the beef was incredibly tender and flavourful
- the desserts were excellent (esp. the "coconut" shelled haupia and the marshmallow)
- service was great. When a table on the balcony opened up, our server moved us there. Very nice view of the beach.

The only downside is the price as it is a very expensive place.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

This restaurant has a very romantic atmosphere. We had a stunning table with a view of the ocean. There was a nice Hawaiian band on the lawn below. i am all about fine dining, and we don't mind paying a high price for quality food. Unfortunately, at La Mer, the food was not so great and it was over-priced. The menu was confusing and our waiter did not make it any easier. There was the chef's tasting menu on the left, and your choice of a three or four course menu on the right with different variations and price levels. Wine pairings were additional. There were so many variations, we ended up with a four course dinner and too much rich, saucy French influenced food!

1  Thank Terri879
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I had our first dinner as a married couple in La Mer. The food was sensational, the atmosphere was romantic and elegant, the waiter unobtrusive. I can't find the words to describe how marvellous this experience was. Thank-you La Mer. Jenny and Christian.