“A wonderful celebration”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lewers Street
Description: Award-winning restaurant featuring exquisite Neoclassic French cuisine, oceanfront views. Hawaii’s longest-running AAA Five Diamond restaurant, since 1990, and the only restaurant in Hawaii to be awarded a Five-Star designation by Forbes Travel Guide. Recognized as the finest restaurant in Honolulu, La Mer captures the elegance and romance of Halekulani. Its internationally acclaimed menu features local, tropical ingredients in dishes inspired by flavors from France. Elegant evening attire for women. Dinner jackets or dress shirts, dress slacks and shoes for gentlemen. Reservations recommended. Open daily from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. As an elegant fine dining restaurant, La Mer restricts patrons to adults and children 8 years or older.
Brisbane, Australia
“A wonderful celebration”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We recently visited La Mer to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and had a wonderful night.

This is an expensive, very formal restaurant that is ideal if you have a special occasion that you want to celebrate. The food, atmosphere and service is first rate.

Highly recommended.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Brizzietraveller65

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Over the top old style. Great”
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Don't forget your jacket. Long sleeve is okay but this is special. Sublime service, intimate location. Get there for sunset. Michelin style food. Wow!

2 Thank winterson66
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Food. Great Service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love this restaurant, they make you feel important! The food are awesome! Love the ambience , classy and welcoming. The Chef , was available for questions.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank princemark
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Best in Show”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Simply the most elegant dining experience on Oahu. Fresh and delicate French cuisine that is presented with an artistic flair by servers who actually care that your dining experience is a perfet one. My favorite fine dining restaurant in the world.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Sunny M
Vancouver
“Lovely Evening at Le Mer - L'Aperitif”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely evening at Le Mer - L'Aperitif during the Christmas vacation while we were staying at the Halekulani Hotel. We had made reservations well in advance and had a spectacular table for two - wonderfully positioned for a view and yet very private.

We ordered the four-course fixed menu type meal and had lobster as the main course which added an additional $32 each to the already relatively high priced four course meal. This $32 was like (if you will) a service charge for the addition of the premium-priced lobster. We also added a bottle of champagne. Our bill with tip was somewhere between $500 and $600. This is not a complaint by any means - this is just offering an idea of what the evening cost.

The service was very good, although our table was a bit busy with hovering waiters pouring champagne which I was trying to savour and spent quite a bit of time waving them off while I was trying to enjoy my evening. This is a bit odd but at one point I asked the waiter for a fresh glass for my champagne as my glass was a bit sticky - so he took the full glass of champagne that he had just refilled and brought me back a fresh glass sans the champagne - I did not say anything to him maybe that is Hawaii protocal but where we live that is kind of surprising. All I can say is that was an expensive fresh glass!

The food was above-average to good (sorry I cannot say very good) in my opinion, although my husband would say it was excellent. I was underwhelmed by my lobster but I guess I am a bit spoiled having grown up on the east coast of Canada and I tend to judge all lobster by that standard. The desserts, however, were out-of-this-world and the coffee served after being brewed in a french press may just be the best coffee I've ever had.

Overall we had a very nice time.

Am I glad we went? Yes.

Would we return? Probably not unless the menu and the taste/flavour of the food was upped considerably.

Would I recommend this restaurant for a lovely romantic evening? Yes, I would.

• Visited December 2012