“Tried the malasdas”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Reviewed November 19, 2015

We purchased a few flavors of malasdas. We got lucky and the line wasn't very long when we got there in the middle of the day. They were great when we ate a couple right away when they were warm. They were bigger than I thought they would be. Worth the trip in.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,205)

Reviewed November 16, 2015

Introduced to Leonard's Bakery on a previous visit and for me this is an absolute must - Order the Original's with sugar.....great stuff

Reviewed November 16, 2015 via mobile

Whenever I am in Oahu, Hawaii I always look for the nearest Leonard's Bakery. We drove all the way to Waipahu to find this place. It was in a strip mall next to Petco and Kmart situated in a small alcove. You cannot miss it. It's a food truck.

There are more selections now... Coconut custard, cinnamon sugar, Li Hing, original and chocolate. If I recall, they were smaller back then in the early 70's.
Malasadas is a Portuguese desert. It's shape like a round ball.
Very tasty and the dough is so soft. Eat it while it's hot.

No outdoor seating. But you can stand and eat. Lots of parking. Reasonable and worth trying.

Reviewed November 16, 2015 via mobile

A small bakery on one of the major roads it's pretty easy to find. Unless you're there really early expect a little wait to get in, but well worth it. The bakery has a pretty dated decor but that kind of adds to the charm of something that's regarded as a Hawaiian institution. the Malasadas come in a few flavours and for the traditionalist the original and cinnamon ones hit the spot. There are a few center filled ones but they can be a little too sweet. Worth a visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2015 via mobile

Line out the door at 10am on a Saturday that went pretty fast. A lot of tourist but for good reason. The malasadas are made to order and come out hot and crispy. I had the original (nothing in it), a custard filled and a strawberry filled (my favorite and the flavor of the month). My husband had the macadamia nut. He didn't like it but he's not a fan of sweets anyway. I couldnt try it because Im allergic to macadamias. The bakery is a small, old building with no frills except for the retro sign outside. There isn't much parking. Totally worth the trip of you have a sweet tooth. Great combo of soft, crunchy, hot, cool and sweet all in one