“Tasty but not to die for”
Review of Leonard's Bakery

Leonard's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 33 Bakeries in Honolulu
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Elkhart, Kansas
“Tasty but not to die for”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

So I read many reviews about how incredible Leonards Bakery is and its a "don't Miss Out" kind of place. Well it was good--the original malasadas, and hot dog wrap. What we didn't care for was the filled malasadas. The line was long both days we were there but it moved along. They are organized and can handle the crowds.We stayed on Waikiki and walked to Leonards. It was kind of a long walk and met several sketchy people (but street people are EVERYWHERE in Honolulu) and we kept our mace handy. It was a nice snack. Glad we got to have our first malasada.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Palmetto, Florida
“Not as good as I remember”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stopped by on a Sunday AM after an early hike up Diamond Head. That is the best advice in this review. If you insist on trying a Malasada during your trip, combine it with a hike up diamond head. It's not only nearby, it will also help you burn off this greasy, local treat. Up until my most recent visit to Leonards, I have never waited in a line that went outside the door. Perhaps that is a case for hitting this bakery on a weekday instead of a weekend. Try a Malasada, they are famous for them. However, I indulged in a Hau'pia puff (coconut filled) and it just wasn't the creamy, heavenly concoction I remember from days gone by. I wish I would've ordered one straight up. The prices are really good compared to other places in this touristy area, so load up on other, non-malasada baked goods for your hotel room. They last several days in this climate, and they have so many yummy coffeecake, cookie, and pastry options. Also, I like to pick up shortbread cookies from here to take home.

Twin Falls, Idaho
“malasadas!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Leonard's Bakery malasadas are a must when visiting Honolulu. On our first visit we ordered the 'traditional' (no filling) malasadas that I enjoyed while growing up here. On our second visit we tried the 'puffs' (with filling). Both types were delicious!

Visited July 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Flavours artificial”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I made a special trip to Leonard's as had read so much about it. Coming from New Zealand I was thinking that the flavoured fillings of the malasadas would be fresh and real. When we saw that the flavour of the day was pineapple we thought being in Hawaii surely it will be made with fresh ingredients( the cream filling) but no, very artificial. We found this in a lot of the food in Hawaii ie. shaved ice flavours. The malasadas were made fresh while you wait but don't get them if you don't like deep fried donut type food.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank ams255118
Columbus, Ohio
“Try the monthly flavor malasada”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have been several times and everything is great. If you are gong for malasadas, always pic kip at least on if the filled flavors of the month. Haupia, is my favorite, but I have had the others and the pineapple and guard are great. I really do not like filled things, but these are worth trying. If you do not want the filled ones, the original sugar are the best. It is worth a stop and the wait for fresh malasadas.