“Open at 5:30am... sort of”
Review of Leonard's Bakery

Leonard's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 33 Bakeries in Honolulu
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Needham, Massachusetts, United States
“Open at 5:30am... sort of”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Suffering from jet lag, we arrived at 5:15am. The lady, even though she saw there was a small group outside, took her time opening at 5:40 am even though the sign said "5:30". Well, it was worth the wait. Those hot donuts were really good. Grab a box and head back to your hotel for good coffee! That's what we did. Enjoyed them right on the beach, looking at Diamond Head, right along with the scores of other tourists also dealing with jet lag. We got a whole assortment of the Masassadas. Not "light" by any stretch. But very good. it was a nice break from our days at "Eggs and Things".

• Visited April 2013

• Turkish first
Savannah, Georgia
“Best Malasadas!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place has the absolute best Malasadas on the island! They hot, warm, gooey, and so sugary sweet! You have got to try one! If you can't get to the actual bakery, they have a food truck in the Waikele shopping center near Old Navy.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Ruth D
Spring Hill, Tennessee
“Yummmm”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This place is very popular. A place where the locals hang out. We had to wait about 15 minutes just to order but it was so worth it. The bakery has so many different things to choose from.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank 0501MVKG
“Worth standing in line!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Malassadas served warm......wow! Came here 3 times! Also tried the Portuguese sausage wrap (in pao doce, which is a sweet bread). Great combination of not too sweet & savoury.
But the main reason to come is for the Malassadas....a light Portuguese type of donut, so light and airy, rolled in sugar ...... melts in your mouth & will bring you back for more. They also have them stuffed with a few different choices.....all were very very good.

Visited April 2013
Omaha, NE
“Tasty treats, slow service”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I realize this is a Honolulu establishment, but I still appreciate quicker, friendlier service than I received the two times I visited last week. The counter person stood and looked around, avoided eye contact with me for a good five minutes before he declared, "I can help you now." If I hadn't promised to take malasadas to a family gathering, I probably would've walked out. I'm glad I stayed and dealt with the bad service, because the treats were so tasty. My first malasada was haupia (coconut) and I loved every bite! I also had a mango one and coconut macaroons. The macaroons were the best I'd ever had - so fresh and perfect consistency. I loved them so much, I mailed some to Grandma in Arkansas. I'll probably return to Leonard's, but will be prepared to wait for service.

• Visited April 2013