“Worth standing in line!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Leonard's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 37 Bakeries in Honolulu
Cuisines: Portuguese, Hawaiian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Parking Available, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
“Worth standing in line!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Malassadas served warm......wow! Came here 3 times! Also tried the Portuguese sausage wrap (in pao doce, which is a sweet bread). Great combination of not too sweet & savoury.
But the main reason to come is for the Malassadas....a light Portuguese type of donut, so light and airy, rolled in sugar ...... melts in your mouth & will bring you back for more. They also have them stuffed with a few different choices.....all were very very good.

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Omaha, NE
“Tasty treats, slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I realize this is a Honolulu establishment, but I still appreciate quicker, friendlier service than I received the two times I visited last week. The counter person stood and looked around, avoided eye contact with me for a good five minutes before he declared, "I can help you now." If I hadn't promised to take malasadas to a family gathering, I probably would've walked out. I'm glad I stayed and dealt with the bad service, because the treats were so tasty. My first malasada was haupia (coconut) and I loved every bite! I also had a mango one and coconut macaroons. The macaroons were the best I'd ever had - so fresh and perfect consistency. I loved them so much, I mailed some to Grandma in Arkansas. I'll probably return to Leonard's, but will be prepared to wait for service.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HootCheech
Honolulu, HI
“Best malasadas EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

It is so popular with locals and tourist, it's hard to find parking and have to wait in long lines. But its worth it!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank HKang808
Tokyo, Japan
“Go with cinnamon!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Good if not great. Really didn't know what to expect so ordered three - Chocolate filled, Coconut filled, and one of the cinnamon. The cremed filled were a bit too much, but really enjoyed the texture and taste of the cinnamon. If I had to do it all over, would have ordered just two cinnamon.

Washington
“You MUST go!! Go directly to Leonards!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stopped by here on Sunday afternoon after reading all the reviews on this place. They are not kidding! These are better than any donut I've ever had! They are Portuguese Donuts! There wasn't a very long line, probably 10 people in front of us. But it went quickly. We got one sugar, one li-hing (I think a plum sugar? very mild- very good), one custard filled, one chocolate filled (dobash) and one coconut filled (haupia). We sat outside on the benches and ate the 3 filled ones right off the bat. They were sooooo good. Denser than normal donuts and sorta "eggy"? And still hot from the oven too! I think they cook them all day - so they are always fresh and hot. Delicious! We saved the other 2 for the flight home, but I regret that we didn't buy a dozen!! If I had known how good they were, I would have stopped every time we were in that area! I'm craving one right now! So cheap too! $1.35. Can't beat it. They had many other bakery items also - from brownies to cookies to cupcakes etc. Lots of cakes also. I'm now on a mission to find some place that makes these in Seattle!

• 5 of 5 bubbles