“Hot huge soft Portuguese donuts!”
Review of Leonard's Bakery

Leonard's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 35 Bakeries in Honolulu
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We didn't plan to go here but I had seen the amazing reviews and noticed it as we were driving by. I made my husband stop so I could run in and grab one. So that's not realistic because the line was huge when I went and apparently that is the norm. We were there around 9:30am. It was well worth the wait. I ordered 3 donuts, 2 with different types of sugar on outside. 1 with coconut filling. As I write this my mouth is watering remembering them. They were hot and amazing.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

A friend recommended that we try the malasadas at Leonard's and they were fantastic! I most liked the plain glazed ones. They are best eaten right away while still warm from the oven.

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

There is no other reason really to come here but the malasadas are more than enough reason all on their own. They call them Portugese donuts but "donut" isn't exactly the right word to describe them. It's close but there's something else, something slightly chewy. They remind me of mostly donut with some pâté choux mixed in. Very crispy on the outside and fluffy, chewy in the inside. Simply divine!

The service is apathetic and careless, they offer powdered creamer with the coffee and the place doesn't seem very clean and the benches outside don't provide the best ambience unless you love sitting in a parking lot and watching cars zoom by but none of that matters. Not one bit of it. The only thing that matters are the lovely malasadas. They are so perfect - so amazing - they can shoulder the burden of Leonard's shortcomings and earn a 5-star rating anyway.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Per recommendation of an Oahu native, we visited Leonard's bakery for their malasadas, or Portuguese doughnuts, and we are so glad we did. We ordered 6 with the plan of saving some for later on, but they were so good we could not stop until they were devoured. A wonderful sweet treat.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Nothing to write home about. The average Safeway has pastries are equally good and the service was substandard.

2  Thank Maleko1