“All the classics”

Hy's Steak House - Waikiki
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steak House - Waikiki is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 2,540 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Uluniu Avenue
Description: Join us for select Holiday brunch buffets, celebrate your family holiday traditions at Honolulu's most iconic restaurants. Hy's Steak House, one of the best-known steakhouses in Hawaii, has been a tradition in Waikiki for 40 years and continues to be a favorite with visitors and locals alike. Tuxedoed waiters expertly prepare Caesar Salad, carve Chateaubriand for two and flambè delicious desserts (like Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee ) tableside. The real specialties of this steak house, of course, are the USDA Prime grade cuts of beef - New York Strip, Porterhouse T-Bone, Delmonico and Filet Mignon - which are dry-aged and trimmed on the premises. The kiawe wood sears the steaks with an intense heat, while complementing the flavor of the fine beef perfectly. Enjoy a cognac or glass of Port from Hy's full bar in the intimacy of the library lounge, while enjoying the acoustic musical offerings of Audy Kimura, Vernon Sakata or Chris Hopper. Join us for Easter & Mother's Day Brunch.
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stepping into Hy’s is like being transported to another time and place. Walking from downtown Waikiki into this wood panelled temple to carnivorous activity was one of the high points of my time dining in Hawaii.

Initially I thought the place to be a touch dated and over the top, but once you get into the groove the whole experience, you realise it is just that – an experience. The staff are very knowledgeable (with some having been there for 15 or so years).

The wine list has a great selection (on the shorter side, which I like as when it is too long it is overwhelming) varying in price and the cocktails are all the classics. As is to be expected with a place like this the menu sticks to the traditional dishes, but has a focus on using quality produce.

The meals are simply massive, fortunately one of our group had been here before and advised us not to order an entrée and main as it would be far too much, and I’m glad we heeded her advice, as one main each and a side to share was ample.

Stick to what a restaurant does best, in the case of Hy’s it is steak. One member of our group does not eat red meat, she said her fish was fine, but not great.

Hy’s is a great experience and when I compare it to other places we visited (like Roy’s) I would definitely return for another meal here and bring others to share the experience.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

They are know for their steak, so get that when you go. I'm not a big steak fan and love seafood, so I got the snapper special. It was almost cold and tasteless. Very disappointed in my fish. Old fashioned steak place. The waiter seemed a little put off by our motley crue. He didn't seem to warm up it was time to pay the bill. This place was recommended by everyone we came in contact with. Didn't hold up to its hype, overrated.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had the tenderloin and the prime rib. First off, the tenderloin where cooked to perfection and was as good as they come. But the prime rib, which seemed to be reeeeeeaaaally slow cooked, was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever tasted. Incredibly tender and tasty. The service was perfect, very attentive and genuine but without being too much of either. The atmosphere is very cozy, it feels like your dining in an old library with an open kitchen/grill in the midst. It is at the high end of the price scale but hands down worth every penny!!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The food, service, ambience and location of Hy's Steak House cannot be surpassed. As a visitor to Hawaii, we didn't want to dine in one of those steakhouse chains that we have at home. Hy's is a terrific answer to the Ruth's Chris or Morton blues. The service was impeccable as a tuxedoed waiter took our drink order and promptly served excellently made cocktails. The restaurant itself is dark wood and white linen- very upscale and diners were dressed appropriately- I never saw tee-shirts or shorts. The steaks are grilled front and center in an enclosed area and it was fascinating to watch the chef perform his magic. Dessert was great and then we easily walked back to our hotel. Everyone in our party thought the evening was exceptional and we highly recommend Hy's for your evening out.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is where we locals go when we want to have a very special celebration. I've been going for 20 years and it never fails to impress. It's not cheap but it is absolutely heavenly. Amazing ambience. Like an old English manor house -- all wood and bookshelves and crisp linen tablecloths. They cook the steaks and seafood over an open grill in a copper cauldron. Everything is grilled over Hawaiian kiawe wood and behind enclosed glass so that, if you are sitting in the main room, you can watch your meal being prepared but never smell the smoke. If you are sitting in the library (also great), Audy Kimura plays soft guitar. He's a legend around Hawaii. I understand that there is a garden, too, but in 20 years I've never been in it. It's hard to order anything but the steak because they are absolutely amazing, My mother always gets the rack of lamb, very hard to come by in Hawaii. And my husband, who doesn't eat red meat, swears by their seafood which is constantly changing and is always wonderful. This is not your regular dinner joint. This is where you go when you want something VERY special.