“Diamond Head”

and up
Diamond Head Running Tour
Ranked #60 of 314 Outdoor Activities in Honolulu
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We walked from our hotel approx 1 hr to the entrance of the crater before another hours walk up which was mind blowing with amazing views for photo shoot and back down in 30 mins. A must to be done

All reviews
"coming down"
in 7 reviews
"bad knees"
in 4 reviews
"don't forget your camera"
"trail starts"
"walk up"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Diamond Head trail is fairly steep, this moderate 1.5-mile round-trip hike starts from the middle of the Diamond Head volcano crater and climbs about 560 feet up the side to the top of the rim.
The trail starts on a paved path before climbing several steep switchbacks leading to the first set of stairs. After the stairs you will climb through a tunnel and then climb up another set of stairs before reaching the bunkers at the top of the rim,this second set of stairs is very steep,there is also a less steep pathway to the bunkers.We took the pathway up and the stairs down.Once on top you can climb up to the top of the bunkers for 360-degree views of the island, with Waikiki not too far away.
There is no water on the trail, so make sure to bring sunscreen, a water bottle and a hat on especially sunny days. There are refreshment stands and restrooms near the parking lot, where the trail begins.
Entrance to the park is $5 per vehicle and $1 per person - a small price for an enjoyable hike and stunning views!
You can catch a bus from Waikiki ($2.50 inc transfer) or a taxi ($10-12 approx) but we chose to walk along the coast,the whole trip took about 3-4 hours and was very enjoyable.

1  Thank Amber C
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Yes, it is not easy but you can do it! I had a crutch with me in one hand and use the handrail with the other and with a prayer, I challenge myself and proud to say that I did it! It took me 2 hours and 10 minutes for the round trio and with my family in back of me, I can now count this off my bucket list! Once you get up there, the view is so unbelievable that you will forget the pain to get there!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Dante was a great tour guide and answered any and all questions. He drove us around different areas and gave the history on everything we saw.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We hiked to the top. It is taxing but if you take it slow, it is well worth the trip. The hike is tough...i'm not going to lie...but we are nearly 60 so for those younger, it might not seem as tough. The view from the top was much better than even expected. There are over 200 steps at the top so expect some breathlessness other than the breathless views.