“Everything right!”
Review of Vive Hotel Waikiki

Vive Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I love small, boutique style hotels and this hotel met all of my needs. Please know that I am extremely PICKY, but I found this hotel cozy, clean, well decorated, well located, well staffed and well priced. The staff was so sweet, especially Jackie, the concierge, who made some excellent recommendations and reservations for me.

There are a lot of overpriced, ugly hotels in Waikiki, so do yourself a favor and choose VIVE. You'll be happy there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Chinita40

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Vive Hotel for one week. The hotel staff was courteous, friendly, and accommodating. They made us feel welcome. The room was clean and large and it was worth the cost since it also included a continental breakfast. The hotel is centrally located and it was easy to take local transportation and also walk to the beach, shops, restaurants and other places of interest.
We had a pleasant stay and we would recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Islanders619
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked a room at VIVE in spite of all the reviews warning us about how tiny the rooms are, because we got a good deal on Living Social, and because we knew we'd be out all the time and not really spending any time in the room. Which was true, but it's worth noting that all the reviews are correct: the rooms are indeed tiny. There are also two "extra tiny" rooms on each floor, and we got one of these, on one of the lowest floors (I suspect because we booked on Living Social - many hotels seem to want to punish you for circumventing the system in order to get a cheaper deal!). The room was barely larger than the queen bed within it, and had almost no flat surfaces to put things down on. Because we had no room to unpack anything, all our stuff remained jumbled and disorganized in and on our bags for the duration of our stay. The bathroom was nice, and modern, but also tiny, and with no counter space at all. The elevators were small and slow, and inevitably by the time it finally reached the lobby, there'd be twelve other people waiting there with you, and you'd all cram on it together.

All that being said, the staff were friendly for the most part, the complimentary continental breakfast (coffee, pineapple juice, croissants, danishes, muffins, fresh pineapple, honeydew melon and cantaloupe) was tasty and convenient, and the lobby and breakfast/lounge area was clean, modern and stylish. Most notably, the hotel is located just two blocks north of Waikiki Beach (the Duke statue, to be specific) and this goes a little way toward balancing out some of the negatives mentioned above.

In summary, the VIVE Waikiki is trying hard to be an upscale hotel, but even with the great location and modern look, the rooms are just too tiny to justify the regular price being charged. I would stay there again only if I were able to find a similar discount.

Room Tip: Floors 2-6 are actually parking garages, so while Floor 7 might sound like it's up a bit, it'...
2  Thank YVR19
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Vive hotel should pride themselves on the decorating and color scheme they provide throughout the building. This is not a boring drab hotel like many others you will find. The welcoming staff and atmosphere made for a smooth check in and a wonderful stay. The BEST part about the hotel is the massive shower!!! Biggest and best i have ever used. The bed was comfortable and the room was perfect. Would stay here again for sure. Adam the valet guy and Jacque the concierge made my stay even better with their outstanding service! Thanks everybody!

2  Thank B-FRESCH
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I am giving this hotel 2 stars because it is a nice price for the location (3 blocks from the beach, close to main attractions), the rooms are nice, modern and clean (small but nice), there's a complimentary (small) breakfast every morning, you can use their beach equipment and lastly the staff are friendly (excluding one very uninterested staff!)

I stayed at Vive August 8-12, and this stay was during my 25th bday weekend. My stay was pleasant up until I was trapped in their elevator for 1 hour. I am a pretty grounded person so I remained calm and did what I was suppose to do (luckily I had my cell phone with me, and it was 1 other person in the elevator). I didn't become bothered until 15 minutes into being stuck, I finally was able to reach front desk staff by phone. Well, they were very nonchalant about the entire thing! After 30 minutes of no check in or reassurance from them, myself and the other guy decided to call 911. We'd had enough.

Once the ambulance gets there, we were out in no time. We had been in there 1 hour total.

We realize that this can happen anywhere (things happen), but it was the nonchalant, uninterested, lazy apology that bothered. After all, I was stuck for an hour on Sunday morning. This caused a huge inconvenience as my husband and I were late to worship, not to mention it was terrifying and unsettling! I was sort of scared to get back on the elevators after, but my room was on the 18th floor.

Apparently being trapped in their elevators were "no big deal" because the staff never approached us after the incident, management did not personally apologize and you'd think they'd have the decency to check on me and the other guy. The apology was a sorry note and a bag of "Honolulu cookies" on my bed after my return back that evening. I can't say that I appreciated the gesture because it was very impersonal and little effort.

It would have been nice to receive a REAL apology, a reassurance that issues as such do not normally happen at their establishment and the proper way to apologize would have been to offer something a bit more extravagant than cookies! A complimentary night stay, a discounted stay, dinner on Vive, a free excursion, massage gift cert.
Am I being ridiculous? I just didn't FEEL the apology.

Unfortunately because of this incident, I will not be staying again nor recommending Vive as a hotel.

10  Thank SadeJL
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The staff were excellent especially the tour advisers; kristan & george and the front desk officers! They used their initiatives to make our stay extremely comfortable and value for the money spent. They often bent a bit without breaking the rules. That is customer service!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank edetcu
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely new boutique hotel located 2 blocks from Waikiki beach. It's walking distance to all the good eats, shops, international marketplace, beach.

Rooms are on the smaller side, but I hear that's norm in Waikiki, the free bfast is simple: 2 choices of fruits, some sweet breads, juice, coffee/tea,

Valet parking is $25/night with in/out, there is a public parking garage across the street for $20/night but no in and out priv. We preferred parking at the hotel anyway, the staff always available to get your car and super friendly.

Rooms super clean, great bath & body works soaps, shampoos & lotions. Great experience overall, would recommend & stay again if back in Waikiki.

1  Thank s l