“Good Poke Fish Tacos”

Cuisines: Mexican
Los Angeles, California
“Good Poke Fish Tacos”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

It was my first time to Surf n Turf (Diamond Head Location). I am pretty health conscious and wanted a good fish taco. Well I had the spicy poke tacos that are made on like a purple taro root tortilla. Poke is a Hawaiian fish dish (something like sushi- just the fish). Its the best I have ever had. There are also grilled fish tacos, chicken, beef and vegetarian as well. The prices are reasonable and the guacamole is fresh and good too. The salsas are good also. If you want good food for a reasonable price or if your a vegetarian or meat lover, there is a variety of plates on the menu for both. I would definitely recommend to others and will be returning again.

• Visited May 2014

washington
“Good Fish Tacos”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is a in and out type place not a sit down relax diner, Tacos were very good, but I wish they through in a lime and maybe the sauses offered labeled better and kept cold , I was nervous to to eat the mild sauce as it was at the bottom and not really cold ..Fish tasted fresh and They were good. Price 10.50 approximately you get two tacos and small scoop of rice and beans.

• Visited April 2014
Arlington Heights, Illinois, United States
“Eat at your risk”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The service was slow. The food was average at best. My wife and I had stomach issues afterward. Enough said.

Visited January 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“The one on Kuhio in Waikiki”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Boo. If you look at all of the reviews about this place you will see that everybody is wild about the fish tacos. They are beer battered. And people LOVE the ahi poke and shrimp tacos. I like the chicken and my sister always craves the grilled fish tacos. They also have great salsas and sauces.

Here's the thing that pisses me off and causes me to bring down the rating on this place:
My sister and I got there at 12:09 in the afternoon so we could take home some tacos for lunch. We only live a block away...just down the street. We had tried to call ahead to put in our order but nobody ever answered the phone. Okay. Not that far to walk.

We go in and the guy at the counter tells us that they are out of fish, shrimp and chicken. What?! It's just past noon and you are out of everything but pork and beef? 'Yeah,' he said. I asked him if we had ordered by phone if we would have been able to get some fish before they ran out. He looked to one of the servers and asked him if there was a phone in the establishment. The other guy didn't know, so they looked around for one and allowed as how they guessed there wasn't a phone there at all. Okay....so, I'll have pulled port tacos (they're really good) and here's my card.
"Sorry, cash only."
"But I don't have any cash on me."
"There's an ATM machine over there." He points to the corner. You think I was mad before. I began to steam. My sister ordered some carne adovada while I went to the counter in the middle to fill the little plastic cups with their delicious sauces. There were three plastic, squirt bottles. One was completely empty. One was about one third full of the green sauce that I love, and the one with the hottest sauce was full but crusted around the opening. It's too hot for me anyway but that was really off-putting. Also, the table was dirty and sprinkled with sauce drops, pieces of lettuce, etc.

We left and figured we would not go back. If things are that dirty and the management is that bad, what is going on in the kitchen? I don't trust them anymore. They just lost two regular customers who would have been there at least twice a week if things were run better.
I don't think this place is going to last...too many red flags.

• Visited December 2013
“Great fish tacos!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We ate here for lunch. It wasn't too busy. You place your order at the counter and wait for your food. I thought it was a little pricey, but it is Waikiki and everything is expensive! I had a shrimp taco and beer battered fish taco and they were both so fresh and delicious! We shared chips and salsa and it was great too. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Would definitely go back.

• Visited November 2013