“Great little sushi place!”
Review of Magokoro

Magokoro
Ranked #220 of 2,421 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Prices were moderately low compared to most of Waikiki and you get great, polite and efficient service from an all Japanese staff. I had the lunch sashimi set and the fish arrived at a perfect temperature (felt fresh but not cold) and the meal was great. Definitely a go-to joint if you are looking for sushi without having to break the bank.

Note: they serve classical sushi meaning no volcano rolls or some of the wacky combos you see at the fusion joints.

There are newer reviews for Magokoro

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Sashimi and roll are excellent. Very fresh et original. Big choice of sake. A good adress among lots of japanese restaurants in Waikiki

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was looking for another restaurant the taxi driver recommended and so glad I went in this one as it was late as I had fell asleep and needed to eat close to the hotel. The food was excellent and the staff very helpful.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We loved Magokoro! We really love great Japanese food and this tiny, unassuming restaurant really was sublime - beautiful fresh sashimi, everthing from the food to the service was wonderful. In our 6 days in Waikiki we ate there four times either for lunch or dinner, it was just too good.
Our concierge recommended just about every other place close by except this place - and the other recommendations were not a patch on this - it really is a hidden treasure.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I WANTED some sushi and sashimi.
I NEEDED some sushi and sashimi.
No, not the food hall version of California roll containing eleven ingredients and sprayed with three-colours of mayonnaise. I craved some traditional pieces in a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere. I didn't need dress codes, spotlights chrome and egotistical masters.
Our travelling companions don't enjoy seafood unless it's a prawn, coated in coconut and deep fried. They'd pass out if presented with raw seafood, so we decided we needed some time-out to satiate our seafood fix.
This place was recommended by a friend and what a good recommendation it was.
I'd originally walked by and missed the place completely, thinking it was in the Hilton Hawaiian Village complex. It's actually a couple of doors along from Kobe, on the Ala Moana side.
We arrived at the end of the lunchtime seating, so there was only 4x other diners there. The restaurant is down a small flight of stairs and presents you with a clean, soothing and intimate atmosphere. Road noise is eliminated and you're transposed for a while in another world.
The welcome was happy and friendly. We selected to be seated at the sushi bar so we could watch our food being prepared. It's part of my preference and enhances the experience. I selected the large Nori set and the wife ordered the sashimi set. The sashimi is usually presented with miso and rice, but we asked for none of the accompaniments. We shared the two meals and the single miso. The rice in the nori was sufficient.
We each had a cold beer as well. The wife wanted Asahi and I had a Kirin. Both were icy cold, served in chilled glasses and really refreshing.
Both the sashimi and the nori sushi were very fresh and cool, but not freezing cold from a refrigerator. Perfect. I find that deep refrigeration destroys the subtle texture of the fish and leaves with a coarse feel, rather than the velvety-smooth sensation that good sushi should feel in your mouth.
The selection offered was good, not innovative, but quite enjoyable. The amount was adequate between the two of us and were were quite hungry on arrival.
The total bill for the two of us came to $40 including a generous tip, so the the visit was very affordable. The Kirin beer was a great bargain at $2.50 a pint. If I lived in Honolulu, this place would be a regular for me.
If you enjoy sushi and wish to enjoy it in a nice atmosphere without all the big-name hype, then this is a great choice. Thank you Magokoro for your hospitality and thank you Tom for the steering us here.

1  Thank Harleynut