“Great SUP Vacation”
Review of Blue Planet Surf

Blue Planet Surf
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Stand Up Paddle lessons, clinics, coaching, downwinders with Blue Planet Surf Shop, Hawaii's SUP HQ. Our shop has the largest premium SUP rental fleet in the state, so there are always many quality performance boards in all shapes and sizes to choose from. We also have a huge selection of board, paddles and accessories. Let us help you have more fun on the water!Robert Stehlik, the owner of the business, is the head instructor and SUP coach and will customize the session to your needs. Avoid learning bad habits and take months off your learning curve with our proven coaching methods. We will get beginners up and riding quickly by using the right equipment and easy to follow instructions. Fast learners will progress quickly and develop an efficient stroke and paddle techniques that can take months to learn without instruction. We also offer coaching for advanced paddlers: downwind coaching, racing technique, and private surf guide service taking you to the best, uncrowded spots of the island on an adventure you will never forget. For more information on our lessons, downwinder coaching, surf guide service, weekly coaching and time trials for advanced paddlers, and free SUP clinics for board buyers.
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I contacted Robert at Blue Planet prior to our vacation in Oahu because of the positive feedback he had gotten on one of the SUP Forums. Robert and his staff gave us a great combination of service, product and expertise. Robert brought the boards to our hotel the first day we were in Honolulu, and after a short lesson on basics we were headed out to the surf. Robert showed us that one of the best places we could surf was right outside our hotel. The boards were great, looked brand new, and were the perfect size for me and my wife. We had another lesson with Jenn later in the week, and she did a great job of pointing out what we needed to work on and how to improve in those areas.

Blue Planet picked the boards up at our hotel once our vacation was done, and we never had to strap a board to our rental car. If you are going to be in Oahu and need a board or guide, Blue Planet is the place..

3  Thank T0nyTexas

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I did the 9.5 mile Hawaii Kai run with Robert from Blue Planet and three other local paddlers on 2/14/14. I had an absolute blast. Robert was a tremendous guide from beginning to end. He made sure to give some helpful tips prior to hitting the water. Once in the water, he was the perfect amount of helpful while allowing me to enjoy the run. The wind was a little light but there was still swell to ride. I was amazed at how clear the water was during the run and there is no feeling like riding open water swell. Robert gave me some great tips to maximize my glide. This is a must do if you are headed to Oahu.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We've done a bunch of standup paddling but wanted to transition to SUP surfing on a recent trip to Oahu. We quickly found Blue Planet Surf's awesome paddle surfing videos and were totally hooked.

We rented a couple 9'6" Blue Planet Nalu boards -- super easy to reserve online, and they even provide board delivery with the option to swap boards at any time.

Our first day, we did a surf coaching session with Robert, which was amazing. He took us to a low-key beginner break, got us up to speed on safety, etiquette, and surf technique, and off we went.

The boards performed great -- perfect blend of stability and maneuverability for transitioning from flat water boards. The coaching was excellent - Robert's one of those rare coaches who can explain things as well as he does them. We were into waves in no time and had a ton of fun.

After a week surfing beginner breaks, we swapped our 9'6" boards for a 9'2" Blue Planet Sweet Spot and a 9'5" Starboard Wide Point and did another surf coaching session with Robert. This time, he took us to an intermediate break and focused on catching bigger waves, turning, and some really useful tips on paddling through the soup and managing the impact zone after a fall (there were plenty).

At one point, Robert set me up on a fairly steep (relatively speaking) wave, and I was super stoked and doing everything I could to avoid pearling when I hear Robert's voice next to me. I look over my shoulder and see that he's on the same wave, casually coaching me up like he's riding the escalator at Honolulu International!

Blue Planet's prices are very reasonable, but the real value is how the quality of gear/instruction flattens out the learning curve -- we probably accomplished more in two weeks than we would have in two months flailing around on our own.

An amazing Oahu surf trip, thanks to Robert and Blue Planet. We're already looking forward to next time...

2  Thank nk2000
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I live in Stockholm Sweden and have noticed the more and more stand up paddlers in the archipelago over the last 2 years. I have always wanted to give it a shot but did not find the time until on my vacation to Oahu.

I was fortunate enough to find Blue Planet and Robert Stehlik who was very accommodating and took me out for a private SUP lesson.

Robert is a great instructor and helped me pick-up the basics very quickly. Robert focused on the details that made all the difference allowing me to paddle energy efficiently, straight as well as balanced. Don´t think I could have asked for more are a first time paddler.

The close proximity of the Blue Planet surf shop to a great surf protected beach (Ala Moana) was an added bonus.

Robert also let me test several boards in order to get a feel for how there are different boards for different conditions and riding styles. Blue planet has a great range of beautiful boards for all types of ridding which Robert has design based on his many years as a SUP instructor and competitor.

I want to thank Robert for the great lesson and the very friendly and helpful staff at Blue Planet surf shop. I learned a LOT in a very short time.

1  Thank HansZe
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I contacted Robert before I arrived in Honolulu from Italy to reserve a special sup board, no need for a standard rental. The staff was friendly and helpfull, great prices, perhaps the best of Honolulu.
I highly recommend it and we'll be back for sure.
Thank you again.