“Great for lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great for lunch”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Terrific set menu choices, very fresh ingredients, lighter Kyoto-style Italian food in practical portions. Great date or ladies' lunch spot. Excellent service

Visited July 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Back away from the name all you want, the concept works!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Mimasuya Italiano of Kyoto. Nope, not making that up. Stare at it until your head explodes, back off of it all you want . . . but you can't make something like that up!

Apparently this restaurant is part of a wave of new restaurants in Hawaii that are upscale Italian, owned and operated by Japanese. Italian food with Japanese flair, they say. Well, here's the really amazing thing: it works! This was as cultured, delicious, attentive and satisfying a dinner as I have had in Hawaii in a long time. The restaurant was very empty, despite the very nice white tablecloth and covered seats decor, gleaming, spotless environment, etc. The air of prosperity was there, but not many customers. But the hostess, authentic Italian, was so genuine and happy to tell you all about the place, you just couldn't resist. My server was simply amazing - cultured and attentive and delighted to explain every dish in detail. Amazing pasta dishes, meats, salads, soups - I had a lobster linguine, and the last thing I expected for $28 was a whole Maine lobster chopped up in there! It was simply awesome. The wine list, though small, offers some real gems, and not at over-the-top prices.

Given the predominance of tourist traps (yuck) and local dives (yay!) on the Honolulu dining scene, there are not many independent restaurants serving classic cuisine that I care to repeat. Mimasuya Italiano of Kyoto is different. I'll be back for sure!

Domo arrigato, grazie, mahalo . . . . whatever! It works!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Holokauahi
“great for a business lunch!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My coworkers and I stopped at Mimasuya for the first time on our lunch break. The food was awesome! I had the shrimp and asparagus pasta $14, salad and app included!! Great Lunch!! They were quick too, I had more than enough time to get back to work. Mike and Steffan were very helpful with their suggestions. The tiramisu and coffee for $5 was a nice too!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Abby1111
Hawaii
“I Wouldn't Eat Here Twice”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

New Italian joint just opened this week. Stopped here for lunch today. Decent location, but kinda tucked into an obscure corner...if you didn't already know it is there, you could easily miss it. Inside decor is fine...nothing too fancy or too plain. Limited daily lunch menu. I was one of six customers. Tables are barren of any condiments...no salt or pepper...and they're using paper napkins. I ordered the veal cutlet with shrimp pilaf, bowl of minestrone, and an imported Italian beer (Oro Di Milano Puro Malto). I was quickly served a small portion of warm heavy bread with a standard olive oil & balsamic vinegar dip. Beer came out ice-cold in a tall glass. The minestrone soup was a disappointment...basically, very small pieces of zucchini, potato, and cabbage cooked in a tomato-based broth. No pasta in it, no beans in it, no actual tomatoes in it, and zero herbs to lend any real flavor to it. Waiter offered to grind pepper on it, but there was no saving this bowl of soup. They really shouldn't call it minestrone. I wouldn't have it again. The side salad was pretty simple, just fresh greens with a couple grape tomatoes, sliced red onions, thinly-sliced cucumbers and red peppers, but the dressing they used was excellent. I love ginger-based dressings and they make a nice one. The veal cutlet was served on top of a very small spread of marinara sauce with two slices of lemon and some kind of marinated fish on top of the lemon. The cutlet was overcooked (dry) and lacked flavor...I mean, yes, I could've squeezed the lemon slices on it, but I don't care for breaded meat drenched in citrus juice...and that still would not have fixed the underlying absence of any distinctive taste. They either need to add some herbs and spices (salt and pepper would be a good start) to their breading, or create a sauce to serve over it that has a good flavor profile. The marinara was of no help, perhaps because there was so little of it. The shrimp pilaf was outstanding. If I could order just a big plate piled with shrimp pilaf on it as a meal, then that's what I would do. It really was quite great. Overall, I'm not sorry I gave them a try, but it's unlikely I'd go back. I wouldn't recommend it to friends and family.

• Visited December 2012