Message from TripAdvisor:

“Worst hotel ever”

Marina Tower Waikiki
Ranked #84 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed December 29, 2010

The Equus Hotel & Marina Tower is the worst hotel I ever stayed. They might be good on the Equus Hotel part, but absolutely not for the Marina Tower. When I book this hotel, I checked their website and look through their photos to make sure the rooms are in good condition. Of course everything looks perfect on the website, but the truth is that they did not sure anything about this Marina Tower. The rooms at Marina Tower are outdated and I have to call the front desk and waited 15 minutes for a hairdryer. Also, on the second day of my vacation, the elevator was broken and they asked me to climb the stairs. I was on the 21st floor. It was just a nightmare and I changed the hotel next day.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 21, 2010

I booked a room through AAA. When I checked in I was informed I'd be staying in the Marina Tower. This was not what I planned on, I researched a lot of hotels before deciding on this one, but was open minded. I should have known by the tone of the clerks voice what I was in for. At first I didn't think it was so bad because I had stayed here a few years ago with my mom and had a great room on the 32nd floor. I believe these are independently owned which would explain my disappointment. I got a key to a room on the 10th floor. This tower seemed nearly abandoned, the former office was closed and one of the elevators was not operating. There was a shady looking gentleman that appeared to be homeless sitting in the lobby and another man got on the elevator with me. As an afterthought the shady looking man got in the elevator with us. I was traveling alone so hesitated to push the button to my floor until they both pushed theirs. The man hesitated, which scared me. I got off at my floor and opened the door to my room. One word, scary. The walls were nearly bare, the furniture was old, cheap and sparce, the room appeared less than clean. I turned on the light to the bathroom with hesitation and a horrible screeching noise that sounded like a small animal made me scream, it turned out to be a squeaky exhaust fan. My cell phone had no reception at all on this floor. The view was of a close by apartment building. The coffee pot looked dirty. I sat on the bed for a second and it was hard as a rock. I didn't even set my bags down. I went downstairs, gave my key back and asked if I would be charged for the second night I booked if I left now, giving up on what I'd already paid for the first night. He said I wouldn't be charged, but when I got my credit card statement a month later I was there, charged for both nights. It didn't matter, I wouldn't stay there and wont go back. I felt unsafe. The room seemed cheap and dirty. I have traveled alone a LOT to Waikiki and surrounding areas but this was my worst experience. The hotel has really gone downhill.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Hawaiigirl44
theequushotel, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Tower Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We appreciate every opportunity to improve our services, and will take your concerns into consideration.

I apologize sincerely for the less than satisfactory experience you seemed to have had. We have recently combined the two hotels, which is why the front desk is now at The Equus, and in no way "abandoned". I am sorry that another guest or resident of the building might have made you uneasy; however, we have 24 hour security in both buildings and I assure you that we take the safety of our guests very seriously.

I hope that you might reconsider your experience and give us the chance to show you the great service and accommodations that make us unique. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any other comments or concerns.

With Aloha,

Mariah Dailey
mariah.dailey@hawaiipolo.com

Reviewed December 18, 2010

Special thanks to maintenance Linelle in Marina Tower for good , friendly and fast service.
Alla , Alex
Seattle

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Being world travellers, and on our 2nd. round-the-world trip, we have been staying in very many different types of accomodation around the world. Usually we do not have time to write reviews of places we have stayed at, but this time we feel we have to speak out of our experiences at the Equus. We had earlier browsed different hotel websites about this so-called boutique hotel where they comment positive about this place. Since there were just 2 options of rooms at the Marina Tower(city or ocean view), we booked a doble room, city view requesting one on a higher floor.
But the whole truth dawned on us when we checked in....
First of all, tower room city view is a “low-rated” standard room with a kitchenett, only up to 14th. floor, with no view at all. City veiw means neighbouring blocks looking right into your window!
Secondly, the room was not very clean. The kitchenett drawers and cupboards were sticky and oily, so was the microwave...urrghhh! There was just one fork and a spoon
(no knives at all), a very dented frying pan (looked like it was picked up from a rubbish dump), 2 small chipped saucers that were supposed to be plates??, and a coffee machine. Best of all, the toilet bowl was loose, such that when you sit on it, it wipped! We went down to complain, and was informed that they would send maintainence to look at it. Otherwise they would set in the utensils we needed in the kitchenette for our stay.
We requested a change of room three days in a row, since we felt that the room we had was the worst in that block – microwave dirty and outdated, old TV, coffee machine leaked everytime you made coffee, windows could not be opened so it smelled musty etc..
The 5 options we got were no better – all were just standard rooms with two single beds, only with more updated microwave and TV (flatscreen). And since they had no dobble rooms available, we were stuck with the one we had.
What really got us was the attitude of the lady in charge at the reception – Renee- she was not at all nice, and told us that if we were not satisfied, we can just find ourselves another hotel! (We had booked and prepaid the room for 11 days at a hotelwebsite, so there’s no refund for us) So we decided to make the most of our stay there, and as the days passed, we noted all of the things that put this so-called boutique hotel on the “worst hotels” list. The room was not cleaned at all throughout the 11 days we were there.They only made up the bed, emptied the rubbish bin, and when they changed towels, the “new”towels had brown stains on them. Once they changed the over-sheet, and that too had 3 huge brownish stains on it! So we just folded it in two - we’d given up complaining.
A coffee sachet was put in the room only on the first day. We were informed that if we wanted coffee, we had first to ring reception, who then sends housekeeping with a coffee sachet to us. This we had to do even when we asked for coffee while housekeeping was right outside the door! Terribly rigide rules.
So... the ONLY positive thing about this hotel is it’s location, and the new girl “Mimie” at the reception. She understood our plight, and tried to do her best, but there was little she could do, being new and not having authority to make changes.
So...to all fellow travellers – be warned.. don't beleive the photos and comments of the different websites concerning this hotel. Outside it looks very nice, but on the inside...... KEEP AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I stayed at the Marina Towers in Waikiki recently for an interview at UH.

Pros:
1) Great view
2) Studio-style with kitchenette for those interested in light cooking

Cons:
1) Terrifying elevator! It' a glass box outdoors. It made me nervous at first, but when I overheard other guests saying that it's illegal to keep elevator cables outdoors and that they were extremely rusty it didn't do anything to calm my fears. I would have been happy to give up the great view for a ground-floor room, but nothing was available.
2) Very simple, clean but don't expect any luxury.
3) Poor mattress and linen quality. Don't expect to get a great night's sleep if you need a moderate or better quality mattress to sleep well.
4) Parking is an additional $18 per day.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2010

The reviews we read about the Equus Hotel and Marina Tower seem accurate. It was as expected. We stayed in the Marina Tower with a deluxe ocean view on a high floor. It is obviously an older building, but the rehab was well done. The room was clean and comfortable. The view was great. And the location was convenient between the Ala Wai canal and Waikiki Beach.

The hotel is not located right on the beach. It is across Ala Moana Blvd, about a block away, but its an easy walk. The Waikiki strip, resort hotels, high end shops and restaurants, are about a twenty minute walk. (Beware: parking in the area is expensive and difficult) The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, but skip the continental breakfast, it is not worth the trouble.

The room had a small kitchenette, although we only used the refrigerator. The built in cabinets throughout were older and not updated, the the floors and bathroom tiles were new. The king size bed was comfortable. The was a large, wall mounted flat screen TV with cable and high speed internet via ethernet.

Check in was difficult. The front desk and lobby are located up one flight of stairs from the street level in the Equus building. We arrived with two large suitcases and carry ons which we dragged up the stairs to check in. We then dragged them down the stairs to head to our room in the tower building. It was inconvenient, but not a major drama.

This is definitely not a luxury hotel like the Edition (located across the street) with rooms starting at $350 a night. But, if you're looking for a good value, this works.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CNY-Tripper
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Well, if you just need a place to stay close to the Ala Wai boat harbor. located on Ala Moana Blvd., a very busy street with lots of noise. Very dated rooms but have a nice view from the marina tower.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business