Message from TripAdvisor:

“This hotel is the worst I've ever stayed in - not at all recommended!!!”

Marina Tower Waikiki
Ranked #84 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I relied on the tripadvisor comments when I booked the hotel in SFO. When I came here I was really shocked. The hotel is not at all what I expected from the website, pictures in the internet. The reports in trip advisor cant be real. I do really doubt that. The photos do not correspond at all. There are rooms in the Marina Tower which are really old and dirty. The doors do not work properly. The staff at the reception is very unfriendly and the only nice person is the lady who is preparing the breakfast. If you ask a question they don't even try to help you. Worst of all is that the rooms are really dirty. There is dust all over the place and the furniture is old and broken. Seems like nobody ever cleans them apart from a quick vacuum. The 2nd day they didnt even bother to change the towels anymore. If you call the reception they dont care and tell you that you should call the next day. The so called breakfast consists of bread and some fruits. That is all! It is also only served from 7.30-8.30 am. Anyway, it is not worth going there anyway.

All I can say is that Im really disappointed and I would never stay in something like this again. We payed 1000$ for one week of which the flight was only one third. This hotel is not at all what you expect.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank SanFrancisco093

Reviewed June 15, 2010

I booked the hotel through our travel site. This Hotel is Equus Hotel and Marina Tower. Beware of where they are putting you. All photos are of the Equus Hotel portion of the property.

The "And Marina Tower" is VERY VERY NASTY. The rooms have not been updated it appears since the 70's, the shower is musty, the bathroom so small that using the toilet required bending way forward due to the coutertop passing behind and over the toilet.

This is an over 30 story building with only one working elevator. I had wait times wxceeding 15 minutes on the elevator. SOme people live in the building and reported that the elevator has been out of service since March. Based on the condition of everything else it was no suprise.

I was only staying three nights, they have a 48 hr. cancellation policy. This meant that I could NOT do anything about the remaining two days once I checked in. Parking $18.00 per night. All in all I would have preferred a Motel 6. I wouldn't reccomend this to an enemy.

There was no indication of these conditions on their website or in any reports. It may be that the Equus is fine but ensure you are not in the Marina Tower..... Horrible.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank gregplv
Reviewed May 26, 2010

When we checked into the Equus hotel, they gave us a room in the Marina Tower facing the ocean on the 35th floor and the view was spectacular. Wow, the windows opened the entire length of the unit and we loved the wonderful breezes coming into the room. We weren't too crazy about the kitchenette and bathroom in the room (needs updating) but everything works. We are especially happy with the services provided by the hotel. We have a really GREAT housekeeper, Linelle, who is so friendly and efficient. I think this is the best deal in all of Waikiki.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2010

we booked a room with kitchenette and only later realized that the room was not in the equus hotel but in the adjacent marina tower which is quite dated. wasn't a problem however and as we arrived we got upgraded to an ocean view room. the room was clean, spacious and with great view. the kitchenette was equipped for preparing simple meals and perfectly adequate for a short stay. the only down was the elevator, one was under repair and therefore it took a while to get up to/down from the 33rd floor. the pool behind the tennis court is nice but overshadowed most of the day. the location near the shopping center is convenient. a short walk will get you to the beach so all in all it is a good, no frills choice for your stay. we paid $75 plus tax a night.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank muffel2112
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Where do I start...We were in room 3003, the best I can say is the views. The room was shanty and dirty. It had black electrical tape holding in the air conditioner, the drapes were ripped and shredded, and the WORSE part was the toilet, it had a counter behind it so you could not sit on it straight, you had to lean forward. Out of the 7 days we stayed there we had room service for 1 day, there was no toilet paper, the towels or sheets were never changed. The elevator...oh my...what a nightmare, you could wait for 15 minutes for it to come, and it was full so you had to wait for the next time. I had to go down the 30 FLIGHTS of stairs numerous times, so I was not late for my scheduled plans for the day. The worse is waiting for that elevator and then finally making it up to the 30th floor to find the door key was not working and go back down to the lobby. On some days they had two elevators working but by afternoon it was broken again, this happened most of the week. The front clerk was a young guy, who really had no concern over the dirty rooms, toilet situation and alls he keep saying was, I know I have to deal with it too...good answer, no reason why the house keepers did not clean the room. When I go back, I will defiantly not stay here again. The bed was old, hard and lumpy. If you stay good luck and remember not to take room 3002!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawn2angel
Reviewed January 4, 2008

The Good - (1) View is good if you're above about 25th floor (we were in 30s). (2) Price is in the low-mid $100s per day. That's it.

The Bad - (1) The rooms are tiny. About 300 square feet based on my math. Of the 300, about 45 square feet is under the window and only 3 feet high. It's a poor design. (2) The rooms stink - my room smelled mildewy and the bathroom was worse smelling. I talked to several other folks and got the same story. Ventilation is apparently poor. I personally was in 2 other rooms and they smelled funky too. (3) The furniture and carpet looks to be 1980s. Old, worn out. (4) The bed was hard as stone and lumpy. (5) There are only 2 elevators for 40 floors and they are tiny. My entire trip there was only 1 elevator working and the wait was up to 10 minutes sometimes just to get up or down. I talked to a guy in the elevator who said he'd been there 5 weeks and during that time there had only been 1 functioning elevator the entire time. (6) Swimming pool was ice cold. (7) Jacuzzi/spa controller is old and was open with exposed electrical. I found out that you had to jiggle the controller to make it work. Dangerous and bad maintenence. (8) $18/day to park.

All in all, you'd be way ahead to toss in another $50/day and stay in a better hotel. Your back, sinuses, and patience will all appreciate it..

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark N
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I would NEVER ever stay at this hotel again. There are 40 stories to this hotel and only one working elevator. My husband and I spent a large portion of our vacation waiting for the only elevator to take us up to our room on the 22nd floor. I booked a room for a week through cheaptickets.com (big mistake) and my credit card was charged for the entire week as soon as we checked in, so I couldn't afford to switch hotels. The management actually told us it was going to take 14 weeks to fix the other elevator!!! They were unwilling to compensate us in any way for the huge inconvenience of waiting for all of the housekeepers, maintenance workers and other guests to use the same very small elevator (Jam packed this elevator could hold maybe seven or eight people at the most). Also, when we checked in we were not told about having to pay to park our rented car in their garage. Upon check out we recieved a bill for an extra $100!! Again, we called the management who were willing to do nothing other than say sorry. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone except maybe to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family