Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #82 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Chicago
“Marina hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I'm here for vacation right now and the elevator is broken (again!). I will definitely not coming back here again. Staff are great but the building is crap. I have to wait 15-20 mins for the elevator and this is ridiculous! Very unacceptable..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
equusmgmt, General Manager at Marina Tower Waikiki, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Jay K,

We are disappointed to hear that you were inconvenienced so immensely. Our elevator system in the Marina Tower Waikiki is an outdoor elevator system soaring 40 stories high. Beautiful views of the mountains are displayed from this side, as all of the guest rooms face the ocean side with panoramic views of the ocean.

Unfortunately, when there are high winds, the elevators are slowed for safety, and when winds are too high, they pause for a few minutes to respond to this matter. Most elevators have these settings for safety reasons, and unfortunately although it occurs rarely, it is a safety requirement that we cannot lift.

We appreciate that you were impressed by our staff, however in the future I would urge you to let us know immediately of your frustration, and we can assist you at that time. We would be more than happy to accommodate you in our sister property, Equus Hotel if you preferred to move.

Our goal is to create a memorable visit and ensure your satisfaction and comfort. We hope that in the future, you will voice your concerns to our staff, and we can address them immediately.

mariah@equushotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. Our room in the Marina Tower was just like in the picture, and the ocean view was magnificent. We appreciated having the kitchenette with full size fridge and stove. The location was very close to the Ala Moana Beach and Mall, but within walking distance to the Waikiki beach.
The only draw back was traffic noise when the window was open, but traffic tapered off by 11pm. We had the breakfast package, which was at a nearby restaurant. The food was fine, but not worth the extra money.

Also, we found out our last day that there were beach towels available at the front desk. Beats using our own every day.

Room Tip: The ocean view indoors in the marina tower were great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dina G
equusmgmt, General Manager at Marina Tower Waikiki, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dina G,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your room, and that the views were more than expected! Marina Tower Waikiki has gorgeous panoramic ocean views from most of our 40 story building. Our kitchenettes are great when dining in is your preferred option or you just want to enjoy the view from your room.

The Waikiki Marina is set back from the road, and units start on the 15th floor, high enough so that street noise is not an issue when your windows are closed. We are sorry to hear that the breakfast was not your favorite, however we like to provide the option for a full hot breakfast, as we do not ourselves have a hotel restaurant to offer one.

We hope that you enjoyed your time with us, and will return to stay with us again soon!

Many mahalos,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We spent 4 days in the marina tower, the view was amazing on the 36 th floor.
As they have a tennis court we wanted to play a round so we called the reception. " no problem" was the anseer so we got ready to pick up the tennisrackets at the reception as instructed. After 5 min. We were told that they only had one racket.. Ok... So we went back in our room to get ready for something else. The next day we called the reception to ask for the key for the safe deposit box. Again "no problem, the key is ready to be picked up" ok... 36 floors down (elevator needs some time) and to the reception. Once arrived they started with the searching.. Again after a couple of minutes we were told that they could not find the key but I should go back to my room and they will call me so I can pick it up.. Of course.. That was also the reason why i flew to hawaii and wait for the phonecall which obviously never came. In the evening i went back to the reception to ask if it was there now.. Again 5 min waiting and no key. One day after they sent the locksmith who was not able to open the box... Well that was about it.. No excuse, no nothing.. Would definately not go back.

1 Thank Romano_CH
Romano_CH,

Mahalo for taking the time to review your stay. We regret that you were inconvenienced by the missing tennis racket and safe key. Unfortunately our last guest did not return the racket, and we should have planned ahead with extras. We apologize for this miscommunication, as our guest service agent should have checked before hand.

Regarding the safe issue, we would gladly move you rooms, or provide safe access at our guest service desk if you were unable to use the safe in your room. This is a feature that is in every unit, therefore could have been arranged upon request.

We hope that you can understand our position, and that this incident did not impact your vacation heavily. We appreciate your feedback, and will make adjustments immediately to ensure this does not reoccur.

Mariah@equushotel.com

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Located across Ala Moana Blvd from the Prince Hotel, the ultra-convenient location is halfway between Waikiki beach and the Ala Moana Mall (certainly one of the best shopping malls in America, and only a five minute walk away !) There is a excellent supermarket located in the mall, and another (Don Quixote) close-by. Ala Moana Mall also serves as the main bus depot for Oahu. The unit (#3301) has amazing panoramic ocean view looking southwest, rainbows are seen almost every morning. The unit itself does not feel small because of this open view. Note that the windows slide completely open so comforting Hawaiian breezes can be enjoyed day and night, making the air-conditioning unnecessary. There is a efficient working desk set-up. The WiFi internet connection is usually strong and very dependable, and the flat-screen TV has most cable channels. There is a small dining table with two chairs that easily tucks away when not in use. The kitchen is outfitted very well, including a blender and hot-plate... as well as two small refrigerators. There is also an ice-machine available on the ground level. The bathroom shower is clean and the hot water constantly available. The towels supplied are quite adequate, but you might want to bring your own. The king-size bed is very comfortable indeed... but NOTE: the bed linens supplied are inadequate and you will need to bring your own king-size sheets, or purchase cheap linens close-by at either Walmart or Ross (both are located two blocks north of the Ala Moana mall). The building itself is clean and kept in very good repair. The manager and security staff were very friendly and efficient. The swimming pool is wonderful, and very clean... and receives plenty of sun from mid-morning till mid-afternoon. The glass elevators outside the back of the condo tower offers view of the entire Waikiki. It is a short walk to the beach and the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and to Fort DeRussy Park. In September the trees and bushes throughout Honolulu were all in bloom. This condo is highly recommended, and is certainly one of the best options for an extended stay in Honolulu.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank balanelcher
Balanelcher,

We appciate the comments regarding the building and location, and the time you spent sharing such great input for this area. This unit however is not a part of our hotel, Marina Tower Waikiki, and is rented out for longer term stays separetly, therefore the lack of linen etc.

Our units in the Marina Tower Waikiki are similarly designed with the same layout, location, and building amenities. Everything regarding this is accurate, and we hope that if you return for vacation, you will consider the benefits of the hotel staff, desk and in room amenities offered with this.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family and I stayed in Equus for 9 days. We stayed in room 3201 and 3203; both rooms had a kitchens which we used for cooking breakfast burritos. My only complaint is that the rooms were a little bit smaller than i hoped otherwise everything else was fine. My parents favorite part was the very big, almost scary windows that overlook the beach. I thought the beds were very comfortable although they were just a little small for my big brother, who is 185cm tall.

by:khoaster

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tan Khoa N
Great Falls, Montana, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

The staff was more than generous, but I would have paid more for a nicer room had I known the pics on their website were so misleading. I won't stay at the Equus (Condo Hotel) again when I go back to Waikiki... the rooms were older and needed work... the $1000 they received from me after my 10 day stay would help pay for the fix-ups this place needs, but they are clearly not putting the revenue back into this property. I did have a great view of Waikiki beach so I am thankful for that, and the hotel is just a 10 minute walk from the Ala Moana Shopping Center where we loved the food court! All in all, not too impressed, but it was one of the lower priced hotels in that area, so it goes to show you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I wish we had the great treatment that many people had said they had, but it was just average to me but it could have been worse. The marina tower is a condo hotel, so there are people that actually live there. Cutting to the chase, we ended up getting our car towed while staying there in their garage. The communication on how the parking worked at this hotel was not clear and in the end our car got towed and we had to foot the bill ($187 plus cab fare) to get it back. We got in on Thursday, the guy there that night said they we were full on parking at their place, so we parked at the hale Koa garage ( about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel) since I was a DOD employee. The next day Friday, was another guy, named Jason and I asked about parking and he said yes they did have parking and ask for my room number. Gave him the room number and he handed me a a piece of paper of what looked like a receipt to me and then he hands me the garage key with the parking stall number for us to park. He asked for our license plate and I gave it to him. During all of this not once did he mentioned to make sure that the paper he gave me was to be displayed in car or the Garage key with the stall number to be displayed in the car. Again, I thought it was a receipt because when I tried to pay him for the stay of the parking, he told me to hold on to it until check out. We go to find the parking spot and a car was all ready in it. I go back to tell him this and he said to just park anywhere it says Hotel guest parking. Come to find out later in the vacation, that car was a resident at the marina tower and he had a special tag on his car.
So we parked in whatever spot we could find with the Hotel Guest parking sign for three nights, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, Monday 1030am we go to the garage to find out our car is gone! We go to the front desk, where I tell Athena, our car is missing. She asked for the room number and then repeated the license plate to us and I said yes that is our car. She tells it got towed because they thought it was trespassing because there was no tag on it. I told her we never give a tag, then she asked me about the paper that I thought was a receipt and that is when i mentioned to her that Jason did not tell us about that. Athena said that was the parking pass or the garage key that had the stall number attached. In any case, she called us the cab and wrote what tow company they called. I did not understand how our car got towed if we parked there for 3 nights with no issue. Also, they did had signs about the parking but for some reason I did not put two and two together and thought it was for the people living at the marina tower. I wanted to speak with the manager after we got our car back but was told they would not be in until Tuesday. Tuesday came, talked with Rene, and she was sorry about had happen. She meet with me half way and refunded us through hotels.com (that is where we booked through) a night stay and we got a pineapple boat. All this time, I couldn't understand what was the point then of giving our license plate if they where only going to look in the car to see if it had a piece of paper or tag. We stopped parking there the rest of our week vacation and parked at the hale koa garage.

Note: Doesn't matter what hotel you stay in Waikiki have to pay for parking so make sure you put that into your budget, $15-20 a night.

So the moral of this whole experience, pay attention to the signs carefully, and if you are parking in any garage anywhere, display your receipt/ticket/ whatever it is they give you because you will get towed.

As for the the rooms, it was not bad, we didn't stay in it all day of course, just needed it to sleep and shower. I think the Equus has the nicer rooms that everyone is speaking of, we stayed in the marina tower the ones with the kitchens. I am unsure if I would stay here again. Like I said it was not bad, could have been worse, but did not get the amazing treatment that most people said they got.

Room Tip: Get the higher floors. Pick the ones without the kitchen, I think those are the nicer rooms everyone...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica_H33364
equusmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Tower Waikiki, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Jessica_H33364,

Mahalo for taking the time to review your experience, and provide us with useful feedback to improve our services. We apologize for the inconvenience of being towed, however when parking, it is always important to pay attention to the signage. Generally in any private lots, there needs to be some display of authority to park in the lot. If we did not communicate this to you efficiently, we apologize profusely, and we have refunded you one nights stay for your inconvenience.

We are sorry to hear that you were forced to park elsewhere, however, if you were staying in the Marina Tower, there is ample parking, and you should never have to park elsewhere. We have a smaller lot at The Equus, however there is a lot directly across from us with similar pricing, on the off chance there is no parking available there.

We hope that you are able to understand our position, as the lot is private, and the building manager has the right to tow any car believed to be parked illegally. It is unfortunate that this happened to you during your vacation, and we assure you this is not a regular occurrence. We hope the compensation of one nights stay was sufficient in making up for this issue. We sincerely hope that you were able to enjoy the rest of your time with us, and that you will give us the opportunity to share our hospitality with you once again. We will certainly take your review into account, and ensure our employees are more clear when explaining parking procedures. Thank you for the opportunity to improve our services.

Many Mahalos,