Marina Tower Waikiki
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$209
$380
$190
$450
  • Beachfront
All reviewsan older buildingthe hilton hawaiian villagerenepukaalohaohana
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family and I stayed in Equus for 9 days. We stayed in room 3201 and 3203; both rooms had a kitchens which we used for cooking breakfast burritos. My only complaint is that the rooms were a little bit smaller than i hoped otherwise everything else was fine. My parents favorite part was the very big, almost scary windows that overlook the beach. I thought the beds were very comfortable although they were just a little small for my big brother, who is 185cm tall.

by:khoaster

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tan Khoa N
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The staff was more than generous, but I would have paid more for a nicer room had I known the pics on their website were so misleading. I won't stay at the Equus (Condo Hotel) again when I go back to Waikiki... the rooms were older and needed work... the $1000 they received from me after my 10 day stay would help pay for the fix-ups this place needs, but they are clearly not putting the revenue back into this property. I did have a great view of Waikiki beach so I am thankful for that, and the hotel is just a 10 minute walk from the Ala Moana Shopping Center where we loved the food court! All in all, not too impressed, but it was one of the lower priced hotels in that area, so it goes to show you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I wish we had the great treatment that many people had said they had, but it was just average to me but it could have been worse. The marina tower is a condo hotel, so there are people that actually live there. Cutting to the chase, we ended up getting our car towed while staying there in their garage. The communication on how the parking worked at this hotel was not clear and in the end our car got towed and we had to foot the bill ($187 plus cab fare) to get it back. We got in on Thursday, the guy there that night said they we were full on parking at their place, so we parked at the hale Koa garage ( about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel) since I was a DOD employee. The next day Friday, was another guy, named Jason and I asked about parking and he said yes they did have parking and ask for my room number. Gave him the room number and he handed me a a piece of paper of what looked like a receipt to me and then he hands me the garage key with the parking stall number for us to park. He asked for our license plate and I gave it to him. During all of this not once did he mentioned to make sure that the paper he gave me was to be displayed in car or the Garage key with the stall number to be displayed in the car. Again, I thought it was a receipt because when I tried to pay him for the stay of the parking, he told me to hold on to it until check out. We go to find the parking spot and a car was all ready in it. I go back to tell him this and he said to just park anywhere it says Hotel guest parking. Come to find out later in the vacation, that car was a resident at the marina tower and he had a special tag on his car.
So we parked in whatever spot we could find with the Hotel Guest parking sign for three nights, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, Monday 1030am we go to the garage to find out our car is gone! We go to the front desk, where I tell Athena, our car is missing. She asked for the room number and then repeated the license plate to us and I said yes that is our car. She tells it got towed because they thought it was trespassing because there was no tag on it. I told her we never give a tag, then she asked me about the paper that I thought was a receipt and that is when i mentioned to her that Jason did not tell us about that. Athena said that was the parking pass or the garage key that had the stall number attached. In any case, she called us the cab and wrote what tow company they called. I did not understand how our car got towed if we parked there for 3 nights with no issue. Also, they did had signs about the parking but for some reason I did not put two and two together and thought it was for the people living at the marina tower. I wanted to speak with the manager after we got our car back but was told they would not be in until Tuesday. Tuesday came, talked with Rene, and she was sorry about had happen. She meet with me half way and refunded us through hotels.com (that is where we booked through) a night stay and we got a pineapple boat. All this time, I couldn't understand what was the point then of giving our license plate if they where only going to look in the car to see if it had a piece of paper or tag. We stopped parking there the rest of our week vacation and parked at the hale koa garage.

Note: Doesn't matter what hotel you stay in Waikiki have to pay for parking so make sure you put that into your budget, $15-20 a night.

So the moral of this whole experience, pay attention to the signs carefully, and if you are parking in any garage anywhere, display your receipt/ticket/ whatever it is they give you because you will get towed.

As for the the rooms, it was not bad, we didn't stay in it all day of course, just needed it to sleep and shower. I think the Equus has the nicer rooms that everyone is speaking of, we stayed in the marina tower the ones with the kitchens. I am unsure if I would stay here again. Like I said it was not bad, could have been worse, but did not get the amazing treatment that most people said they got.

Room Tip: Get the higher floors. Pick the ones without the kitchen, I think those are the nicer rooms everyone is talking about. But if you want the the kitchen ones, they are not that bad, just get higher floors so you are away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica_H33364
equusmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Tower Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Jessica_H33364,

Mahalo for taking the time to review your experience, and provide us with useful feedback to improve our services. We apologize for the inconvenience of being towed, however when parking, it is always important to pay attention to the signage. Generally in any private lots, there needs to be some display of authority to park in the lot. If we did not communicate this to you efficiently, we apologize profusely, and we have refunded you one nights stay for your inconvenience.

We are sorry to hear that you were forced to park elsewhere, however, if you were staying in the Marina Tower, there is ample parking, and you should never have to park elsewhere. We have a smaller lot at The Equus, however there is a lot directly across from us with similar pricing, on the off chance there is no parking available there.

We hope that you are able to understand our position, as the lot is private, and the building manager has the right to tow any car believed to be parked illegally. It is unfortunate that this happened to you during your vacation, and we assure you this is not a regular occurrence. We hope the compensation of one nights stay was sufficient in making up for this issue. We sincerely hope that you were able to enjoy the rest of your time with us, and that you will give us the opportunity to share our hospitality with you once again. We will certainly take your review into account, and ensure our employees are more clear when explaining parking procedures. Thank you for the opportunity to improve our services.

Many Mahalos,

Mariah Dailey
mariah@equushotel.com

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I booked this hotel off hotwire after reading many good reviews about it. I was staying in the Marina tower with a kitchenette and partial ocean view. I'm a very easy going person but since I paid extra for the kitchenette and view, I expected a little more than what I got. The kitchenette was incomplete (did not have a cutting board, dish cloth or dish soap) and the one pot and pan were very old and scratched up. As for the view, waikiki beach/ ala moana park were blocked by several huge buildings. We could see the ocean, but only a little bit. Also, the phone didn't work and the parking garage remote wasn't even the right one so it didn't work. In the morning I went down to reception and asked for kitchenette supplies and for someone to repair the phone. I was gone the entire day, got back in the evening, and nothing had been brought up or fixed. Since the phone didn't work, I had to go all the way down to reception (they had 2 elevators, one of which was having problems, so only 1 worked and it was a 10 minute wait). I asked the front desk guy for kitchenette supplies, etc. and he had an apathetic attitude while calling someone to my room. He also replaced my parking garage remote, which only worked from time to time (when it didn't, a security guard would have to open it for us).

In the hotel I bumped into several people who were pretty pissed off about the service and ill-equipped rooms. I have no idea why this hotel ranks so highly. I have had better times in hostels and couch surfing than here.

Room Tip: if you don't care about a kitchenette and/or view, get a room in the hotel's main building to save $$$.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jory W
equusmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Tower Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Jory W,

We appreciate the time you took to review your stay, and take every opportunity to improve our services. It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, and that there were a few issues during your time with us. While we do our best to ensure the facilities are up to date and functioning, we have to do routine maintenance on our outdoor elevators to guarantee their safety. This is necessary in order to update the equipment, and we make a concerted effort to create as little inconvenience as possible to our guests. We apologize, that in tandem, your phone was not working correctly, i assure you that this has been addressed, and is not a regular occurrence.

Regarding your booking a partial ocean view, we are sorry that the view was not to your liking, however the option for a full ocean view is available at an upgrade. We provide full kitchenettes, however the additional items such as soap are not inclusive - but can be easily purchased at the corner ABC store. Lastly regarding our parking garage, we provide remotes for the gated entry. These remotes are fully functional, and if there are any issues, we have many replacements available. We apologize that the clicker was difficult for you to function, and assure you that this is not common practice.

Thank you for your comments, we apologize for any miss-communication or inconvenience that you experienced. We hope that you are able to understand our position, and will give us an opportunity to share our hospitality with you again.

Many Mahalos,

Mariah Dailey
mariah@equushotel.com

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had purchased this Groupon for this hotel and got a room in the tower. We had the partial ocean view which was a gorgeous view!!! Because we were in the tower we also got rights to the swimming pool and hot tub. And even though there isn't a gym in the Equus, the Illikai has a small gym that is for guests of the tower (Illikai also manages the rental of some of the condos). Yes, the carpets and furniture were old and a little gross but I knew that coming in from reading the reviews. We didn't have any problems with bugs and we found the Equus staff to be, for the most part, very pleasant. The breakfast is nothing much and the food disappears quickly. This was very centrally located and the beach that is close is just gorgeous. You can walk to the mall and there are some good neighborhood restaurants around here if you are willing to do some research.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends